Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jun 18, 2011

The Clan of the Cave Bear

Posted by Fabulosity  |  at  1:56 PM

Author:       J.M AUEL
ISBN:        10: 9780553250428
Paperback     $10.88 
Kindle Edition $ 10.50
Publisher:      
Hodder (December 21, 2010)    
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, Book One): with Bonus ContentRating:          5 of 5 stars

THE STORY:
Takes us to back 25 000 years to a time when Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon walked the earth. We follow the story of a little 5 year old girl, orphaned when her family gets killed by an earthquake and she is the sole survivor of her clan, left to fend for herself. 
She wonders for a number of days through forests trying to survive as best as a five year old can and just when she is about to succumb to death after falling prey to a cave lion, she is saved by a Neanderthal woman of the Clan of the Cave Bear. They are also on a voyage to find a new home, a cave, after the one they once inhabited is also destroyed by the same earthquake.
we see her development from childhood to womanhood in the space of less than a decade and her life as she tried (unsuccessfully) to adjust to life with a race whose genetic development has reached its peak and is on the way to its extinction, as her race, the new race is about to take over genetic progression.

 WHO'S WHO:
There are two main characters:
  • Ayla, the Cro-Magnon girl we meet as a 5 year old orphaned  girl
  • Iza, the Neanderthal medicine woman who adopts Ayla
  • Creb, the crippled magician (The Mogur) brother to Iza who's special gift is telepathic communication & transportation to the beginnings of time.
  • Brun, the wise and brave clan leader whose only fear is the spirit world which is unfamiliar to him.
  • Broud, who hates who Ayla so much that his sole reason for existence is to oppress her and defeat her will to live.

THIS IS HOT:

  • LM Auel is a prolific writer, she know how to weave a tale that is so real that you would be hardpressed to prove that these people never lived. 
  • The amount of detail that goes into describing the people, environment and animal life is phenomenal. I am felt wondering just how long it took for her to write this one book because of research. 
  • It is a beautiful story of love and the tenacity of the human spirit and its ability to triumph over the toughest of circumstance.
NOT SO HOT:
  • There truly is nothing I did not find amazing in this one.
  • I could say it was the thought of children being married and having children but this is not a story of homo-sapiens  You have to think it dog years considering that Neanderthals reached old age in their mid twenties.
  • I could say the rape of Ayla was unpleasant but the story would have been less without it. This is a situation that comes to show just how strong this girl is in a place where not many would survive. 

OVERALL:
Clan of the Cave bear is one of the most phenomenal books I have read in my lifetime. My favourite book in the word up to today has been American Gods: A Novel by Neil Gaiman. I now have two favorite authors, oh no I lie, three....Douglas Kennedy. Can't wait to read the next instalment in The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, Book Two).

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

2 comments:

  1. I read this book many years ago, but I still remember how hard it was to put it down. I think I still have a copy; your review has made me think maybe I should pull it out and add it to the TBR (again) list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to more on to the next in the series Linda but my TBR list is just not improving. I have to do something about it because I have all the other Children of the Earth books waiting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top