Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jul 18, 2011

A Love Rekindled

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  7:46 PM

A Love Rekindled
Author:      Myne Whitman
ISBN:        10: 1456516868
Format:     Paperback, Kindle
Publisher: CreateSpace (March 18, 2011   
Rating:     3 of 5 stars

THE STORY:
Two lovers separated from each other by the prejudices of one of their parents. Efe is a young woman who is torn from the love of her life by Kevwe father who does not believe neither she nor her tribe are good enough for his son. By sheer will she creates a life for herself in America and tries to forget him but her heart will not have it. Kevwe, deceived by his father into believing that Efe would not marry him because of his misfortune is also unable to move on. Her return to Nigeria off sets a series of events which eventually bring them together, but the road to recovery is far from smooth.


 WHO'S WHO:
  • Efe is the main character who runs off to the USA and later returns to Nigeria.
  • Kevwe is the love of her life and he waits for the day their paths will cross again (hopefully).
  • Ofure is Kevwe's twin with whom he has a telepathic relationship.

THIS WAS HOT:
  • This book has a great feel good quality about it. Like the kind of thing you want to get into after a tough day to relax and let your mind wonder.
  • As you get into it, it develops a certain momentum, not hang on to the edge of your seat (this is romance after all) but a definite “whathappensnext” atmosphere. 
  • I also liked the honest nature with which its approached. There is a certain mindset that is Nigerian, especially when it comes to family. It was interesting to watch the patriarch (Kevwe’s father) exercise rule of law in his family not only because of his experience but because of the words of those who came before him. Such loyalty to family I think is typically Nigerian and yet I wonder if, had Kevwe been aware of the extent of his father’s feelings/prejudice, would he have chosen to obey his father’s instruction as the head  or chosen different, and how would his choices then have affected his relationship and the family dynamics (a readers dream of course taking the story elsewhere entirely)
NOT SO HOT:
  • My biggest peeve was the excessive switching back and forth between time frames. There are significant sections of the earlier times I didn’t read  because I felt they weren’t giving me new information that was relevant to me for what was happening currently. The odd sections I read now and again kept me abreast with what was happening.
  • I also felt that the high school puppy love quality of that early period distracted me from the real story which had me in its grip.
  • The book is clearly written with a Nigerian reader in mind and therefore uses colloquialism quite liberally however I found editorial inaccuracies in the sections where this was not applicable.



OVERALL:
I think the best reader of this book is one with a good knowledge and understand of the Nigerian community and the country. And for that reader I can conclusively say I think you will definitely enjoy reading A Love Rekindled. Its a story that speaks of how enduring true love really is. It never give up.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. New follower from the super stalker hop, look forward to your future reviews! You can find me at

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review. While I still want to read it, I'm interested in your thoughts on the Nigerian colloquialisms. I wouldn't know anything about these, and wonder if I would lose something while reading. I guess we'll find out at some point, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you RosieC, I do not think you will miss anything while reading. I had a non-Nigerian beta-reader who helped me make sure the colloquial language was appropriate. Many other readers and reviewers have also pointed out that it made the book more authentic for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Myne, it is perfectly understandable, it just may look a little odd but that is the exact way of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The days are passing in a daze. Forgot to come back and enter.Congrats to all the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is likely for love to die than to be rekindled.This is an inspiring love story.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top