Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jul 13, 2011

Myne Whitman on Luminary Wednesday

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  1:07 AM


A Love Rekindled
Today I chat to a diva, writer and blogger amongst other things, Myne Whitman. She is the author of  two romance novels, A Heart to Mend and A Love Rekindled which I have just enjoyed myself. Lookout for the review next Monday. My short summary on A Love Rekindled is that it is a beautiful story of the pervasive and perdurable nature of true love. I find it to be an intense, entertaining and good ol' fashion feel good  story that I anyne who's ever been in love will relate to. Now I hand the reigns over to Myne to tell us about her writing and her books and blogs.

You are in my opinion probably one of the most well known bloggers in the writing community, can you tell us about what made you start and how you got where you are as a blogger.
I first joined a writing group when I decided to concentrate on my writing and it was one of the members of that group that suggested to me that I could open a blog and get more feedback from a wider audience. I started my blog a couple of months later and it has been an amazing journey, being part of the blogging community.

You are also the founder of a thriving writing community, Naija Stories, what is the genesis and end goal of this community? 
The idea for the website community started because of a couple of interests that converged. The first was an interactive story I ran on my blog from November 2009 to March 2010 while my first book was in the publishing process. There was so much interest by bloggers to contribute to the long running series. The second was the flood of emails I began to get after my first book, A Heart to Mend, was published. I realized there was a gap for young and aspiring writers to find out information and also be part of a supportive community.

How has your blogging influenced your writing?
I think the major thing was that my blog has acted as a springboard for my self-publishing. It also means that I am closer to my readers. I share my work in progress with them and take their feedback into consideration during my edits and rewrites

How has becoming a writer affected your life?
I have always been a writer so it’s so much a part of me. There are nights I can’t get to sleep because I have to write just one more line. But I won’t have it any other way.

What made you go the e-publishing route once you have finished your first book? 
I am generally  very open to new ideas and when I had researched non-traditional means of publishing to my satisfaction and determined it could be successful, I decided to give it a try.

Can you give a brief account of the high and not so high lights of self-publishing.
The high for me is having complete control over my creative work, I personally sign off on every stage of my books, from the covers, to the interior design, and much more. The low is that I have to do all my publicity and that takes a chunk of time away from writing.

You come across as someone who knows what they want and how to get there is this correct assessment?
I do try my best, lol…

Is there ever a time when you feel like the opposite of a well put together and accomplished individual? If yes, how do you deal with it and get back on track.
I can procrastinate a lot, and recently, it takes a pep talk from my husband to get me going during those periods.

You use a pen-name to write and this has intrigued me from day one of knowing you, why and is there ever gonna be a great reveal? 
I chose to use a pen name when I was still in my teens and thought that most writers used them. I just find the idea of pen names very romantic . There won’t be a big reveal because my real name is not secret. (I subsequently found out that her name in Nkem - no surname as yet -LOL)

A Love Rekindled is your second romance novel before that was A Heart to Mend, besides the love theme, are there any recurring theme in your books that identify them as distinctly yours?
I think it will have to be my writing style and the Nigerian setting.

Who is your primary audience and why have you chosen this as your niche?
My primary audience is young Nigerians, especially those that enjoy reading romantic fiction. I chose this niche because I’m Nigerian and I personally like reading that genre.

I read one of your reviews for a Heart to Mend that said Nigerians are not known to write love stories, I think this is inaccurate because you only have to look at Africa Magic to see how prolific Nigerians are at writing and acting on matters of the heart, granted some may not be based on a full novel. What is your take on this?
There is indeed a lot of romantic drama in Nollywood but less in mainstream writing. But the truth is that publishing and writing in Nigeria as a whole is at a low, so it’s not just any particular genre. That is what I’m hoping to change by writing and publishing my books.

Speaking of acting, when you were busy with your promotion you assigned real actors (note video below) to your book characters, would you consider having your book turned into a movie in Nollywood?
Certainly. I’m still keeping fingers crossed for A Love Rekindled.

If your book were to be a movie, would you consider changing the actor who is Kevwe character to one more reflective of Kevwe’s d divinely chiselled physique? 
LOL…that may be out of my hands depending on the producers of the movie.

The one thing I found different in your book in terms of African writers is that hot steamy love scene between Efe and Kevwe, what prompted you to write that piece?
I really don’t think it’s that unique, a lot of contemporary writers are being very real and modern in their books too. As for the prompt, it was solely the characters, they lead and I follow. After so many years apart, Efe and Kevwe just wanted to be together.

What do you have in store for your readers in the near or far future?
I’m working on another book which I hope will be ready for publishing next year.

You will be giving away an eBook of A Love Rekindled to a reader of your choice, tell us a little about that and the criteria if any.
 To enter you need to write a 100 word love story before July 20, other than that it must be a story about love.
Thank you for stopping by Myne and sharing yourself with us. I'm sure that everyone of your fans and readers  share my sentiment in having every confidence that your writing career will be a long lustrous one.

Thank you reader for coming by, be sure to stay tuned for tomorrows Giveaway segment. If you have any questions for Myne please feel free to post them in comments, she may at her discretion answer some when she guest blogs to she announce the winner of her book.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. Wendy, great interview!
    Myne (NKem), lovely to meet you and thankyou for giving me an insight of your experience.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy and Linny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I learned a new term - Nollywood. Where have I been. Just a matter of time before I get around to one of Myne's books. I have some books to get through before I buy any more.

    Wendy/Myne - Interesting interview. Hadn't come across any Nigerian love stories before meeting Myne, so of course, I'm intrigued. We do get African movies in Jamaica though, and they're all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myne,

    Missed one of your readings here in Lagos (Eko) but it's an equal pleasure reading your interview. Keep up the good work.

    I also wanted to hear what is your take on the Bias For/Against Vanity Publishing (hope that's not derogatory).

    Thanks and more grace.

    Sochi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE:

    Dear Myne/Wendy, you already talked about it (Self publishing). Just wanted some elaboration on your views.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello memofromhr,

    I hope we still have a chance to meet one day. On self-publishing, I don't think there should be any bias especially in Nigeria with its dearth of mainstream publishers. But there is a bias because a lot of self printed books are not proofed or edited. My advice to anyone who wishes to self-publish is to make sure their book is comparable to their best book/author (meaning get professional editing and as many beta-readers as possible) and rewrite and rewrite.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great interview. I've been wanting to read Myne's book for some time, and this interview has reinforced that. Thanks for offering the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seun Odukoya. For the competition.

    GUILT

    They were struggling.

    He wondered why she was struggling. She had come willing, hadn’t she? Why would she follow him home on such a night and not expect…
    With a loud ‘RIIIP’ her blouse gave way. He froze, staring at the full breasts in a black bra and whatever reason he had left crumbled. Grabbing the twin morsels he made to taste them, noting that she was no longer struggling.

    Then he tasted salt.

    She was crying.

    Like a dash of cold water in the face he remembered his daughter and slid off her, mumbling ‘I’m sorry’ over and over…

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top