Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jul 29, 2011

The Pessimist by Ben King

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  1:01 AM

I know not everyone thinks poetry is their cup of tea and yet I keep thinking surely not. And so forever being a prisoner of optimism I continue to liberally plough you all with poems I love on Fridays. I think Fridays are acceptable to do this on account of it being the beginning of the weekend. Most people are quite forgiving of most misdemeanour's, especially if a wee libation has preceeded the revelation of the affront. This is especially true of the Irish and the English, take my word for it. So let grabs our merry glasses and consider this:

THE PESSIMIST
by: Ben King (1857-1899)
      OTHING to do but work,
      Nothing to eat but food,
      Nothing to wear but clothes
      To keep one from going nude.
       
      Nothing to breathe but air,
      Quick as a flash 't is gone;
      Nowhere to fall but off,
      Nowhere to stand but on.
       
      Nothing to comb but hair,
      Nowhere to sleep but bed,
      Nothing to weep but tears,
      Nothing to bury but dead.
       
      Nothing to sing but songs,
      Ah, well, alas! alack!
      Nowhere to go but out,
      Nowhere to come but back.
       
      Nothing to see but sights,
      Nothing to quench but thirst,
      Nothing to have but what we've got;
      Thus thro' life we are cursed.
       
      Nothing to strike but a gait;
      Everything moves that goes.
      Nothing at all but common sense
      Can ever withstand these woes.

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, thanks for your kind note on my blog- I'm following back. I LOVE this poem. I'm not always sure that I properly understand poems, but this one spoke to me because we've been in a bit of a woe is me state off and on this year, and I feel like the poet is kind of saying "hey, people, this is life! you can make woe of it, or you can savor these small moments and things that life is made of." Anyway that's my take. I write poetry occasionally - okay, rarely, but when I do, it often does well. I think it's because it comes straight from the heart. You have a nice blog, look forward to coming back regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for coming by again Melissa. As I get older I find myself liking poetry more, and I could not even stand it at hight school because I just couldn't get it. I know must have at least 4 or 5 large poetry volumes.
    That's exactly what this one said to me to. The glass is half full or half empty, the choice is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I love this poem! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, today was a day like that! lol thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top