Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Aug 5, 2011

Follow My Book Blog Friday

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  3:50 PM

Today I have two posts, this blog hop and the Short Story below it. I hope you'll read both. 
Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?).
Judy Blume: "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret", "Starring Sally J.Freedman as Herself", "Blubber" v. 2 I was in my early teens, 14 or so and it was these two books that were my first means of transportation into other countries around the world. I remember trying to figure out in the back of my mind as I reading what things like sneakers and sweaters meant because we have different names for them in South Africa. And what it meant when I read: Nancy  had to walk 4 blocks to her friends house (trying to imagine what distance that must be because we use street names, number of robots/traffic light or other street signs to gauge distance. So I found the rhythm of speech quite fascinating. These books also gave me the idea that such places as America where there was all this fun and freedom did not exist even though I was learning of them at school. Growing up in Apartheid South Africa led to very sheltered lives for some of us who were very protected.  I've been hooked on books since then.

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

18 comments:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for the follow. Following back now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your kind words. I'm now following you back. :D

    I can identify with your answer. I love that books have the ability to transport us to different times and places. The most affordable form of international travel! :D

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what we can learn about other cultures from reading. It really does open up new worlds. I loved Judy Blume and Nancy Drew books when I was a kid too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It always amazing me how different other cultures are from each other. I have quite a few friends that are from South Africa and I always love discusses how things are back home for them versus her in the US.

    Danielle @Ramblings From This Chick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can releate to that.
    I've been to the US a lot of times since I was a kid, but I'm not from there so it was still a shock when I first started to read about their seemingly perfect culture.

    It was a chance to escape from the problems my country (mexico) has. Although maybe back then they were not as horrible as Apartheid, but nowadays things are worse than horrible at least here in the north.

    But well, my point is BOOKS ARE AWESOME!
    new follower(: have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old follower hopping through! Thanks for sharing your experience with Nancy Drew. Books have such an amazing way of opening up new worlds to us... both real and fictional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like Nancy Drew, there are always plenty of books to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading Nancy Drew growing up! Yay!

    Thanks for hopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey everyone. Thanks for stopping by, this hop is really awesome.
    Danielle: You guys seem to have so much more choioce and that is where I really envy you....I mean in terms of retail and corporate offerings. What I don't envy is the culture so much. I imagine America must be somewhat like the UK being 1 world and all that. I would dread raising my kids in the UK after what I saw of the teens on my visit there. I think they grow up too fast. That was one reason that made us decide to not relocate to anywhere outside of Africa while we have small kids.


    Melannie: Apartheid was a terrible doctrine to live under but on the same breath things haven't improved to the extent that one would have expected.Its trahic really. Thankfully violent crime seems to have significantly decreased but now we have a to content with such a corrupt government. It just doesn't end.
    What's made Mexico worse, are you back there now. I'm with you on the "perfect" American culture. LOL - Its only a facade, every culture has its challenges and I think third world countries do tend to be more grounded culturally that is. I worry about ours which seems to be holding on by the fingertips to its culture and steadily heading westwards with its first world economic and political agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and the westward econonic and polotical agenda is a good thing but my worry is theh loss of who we are as we go there. LOL. That's what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    Thanks for stopping by! Nice to hear from a fellow Judy Blume fan ;) I'm follow you too.

    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read any of these books. I think it is cute about your young mind trying to grasp these things :)
    Thanks for the visit and the compliment! Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Wendy. Yeah, we third world countries seem to be a little more modest. But it probably has to do with people having nothing to hold on to except themselves and their culture. But now my poor Mexico is the joke of the world. It's kinda sad because people here is so lovely, but lately the corruption of the "justice" department and the politicians it's taking its toll on us, we're going from bad to worse and fast ):

    But well, God bless both of our countries(:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember wondering about word meanings too! And how as I read more, they became more obvious to me.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Nancy Drew and Judy Blume, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me three! New follower and thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Jennifer @ The Bawdy Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top