Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 8, 2011

J.L Campbell on WiP Thursdays

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  11:34 AM

In the course of back and forth emailing with J.L Campbell, I had the bright idea of giving her a slot on my blog to feature her work on a weekly basis. We've become great blog buddies and I hope this platform will also help her get her work out there too as she ventures into going solo. So I hand over to J.L:
I’ve been toying with the idea of self-publishing for a while now. Apart from my published work, I’m sitting on eight complete novels, a half-dozen stories in the making, a host of short stories, and a few dusty outlines.  
I’ve been watching the changes in the publishing world and doing some studying on the side. A few months ago, I made the decision to self-publish public knowledge because it meant that having committed, I’d go the distance.
I’ve learned so much since the start of the year, including how to make book covers, thanks to a friend of mine, Tirzah. I plan to launch a set of five stories on September 19. Three of the five tales won silver medals in a national creative writing competition.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m pleased to share an excerpt from A Push in the Right Direction. 
This one shows what an abused wife does when pushed to the limit. 
I’d say ‘Enjoy!’ but then you’d think me weird, so, um, here goes…
In the semi-darkness, Richard stood on the ledge. At the sound of the door, he glanced over his shoulder. In the few seconds afforded by the light from the bedroom, he snarled at her, but the wind whipped his words away. Unrelenting rainwater beat his skin and ran into his mouth. He spat water, mouthing words she could not hear.    
Rita ignored him and he soon gave up. Shaking his head, he turned away and clung to the wall with one hand. With the other, he tried to unhitch the screw holding the metal awning in place.  His calf muscles strained as he stretched to grasp the metal bolt positioned just out of reach.
  ‘He never knows when to quit. He can’t possibly see what he’s doing.’

Rita clung to the window ledge to prevent herself skidding on the wet tiles. An unexpected, yet oddly appealing vision danced before her eyes. She continued her cautious progress across the verandah.
 ‘Who would know if you pushed his ass over the edge?’
 ‘No!’  Rita said.
 ‘Your problems would be solved.’
  'I'm not hearing this,' she told herself.
  ‘The beatings would stop.’
“This is the first time he’s done it in a while,” she said under her breath.
  ‘It’s just a matter of time before he does it again. Then he’ll cry and say he’s sorry.’
Rita clapped her hands over her ears to still the clamour in her head.
  ‘Go on, it would be easy,’ the voice urged.
  ‘No!’ she said again, but felt herself weakening.

She moved closer and her arm edged out, taking on a life of its own.
  ‘Do it now!’
  ‘No!’ She clamped her jaw until her teeth hurt.

Now she stood directly behind him.
  ‘Use the opportunity! You’ll never get a better one.’
  ‘No!’ Her arm stopped in mid reach.
  ‘Now!’

Gently, she pressed Richard’s buttocks. Stretched as he was and assaulted by the elements, he lost his grip. His fingers clawed at the wall, now slick with water. His toes grappled for a foothold, but found none. He grabbed at the wall on the other side and missed. He tottered on the narrow ledge, hands beating the air. The wind, pulling at his clothes, dragged him further off balance. A scream ripped the air and was blown away by the howling wind as he fell.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

7 comments:

  1. I think I may be a freak because I actually enjoyed this tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More tales of revenge to come on September 19, Wendy! Thanks for letting me wreak havoc on your blog. I'll be out of communication zone for a while, but will be back later in the morning, but that'll be afternoon your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a story. I want to know why they were outside on a day like that and what happened when she pushed him over. Can't wait to read more. I feel like Wendy, I shouldn't have but I did enjoy the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there. I can't wait to see how your self publishing goes.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarissa, they were out there foolishly during a hurricane. I'll make sure you satisfy your curiosity. :)

    Misha, thanks. It's fun getting there, well except for the part where it feels like my eyeballs are going to fall out from reading the same thing over and over and over. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a far braver soul than I. I wish you all the luck in the world with your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Crystal. A little courage and a lot of work are good steps towards meeting goals.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top