Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 26, 2011

Vampire Academy Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  9:08 PM



I haven’t done any reviews on my blog for a while now because besides immigrating to my husbands country, I’ve also been catching up on my reading. I've covered a number of books but sadly not as many as would have been my ideal.  I now need to set and think about what I think about them :-) 
My first review is for my first vampire read in a very long time and to be honest my reading of these books was directly influenced by their overwhelming presence on the blogasphere. I have come across them on people’s blogs so many times I thought I really have to get hold of them and i managed to snag four but unfortunately missed the first.
The following is purely my opinion / how I feel about the Vampire Academy Series.

Vampire Academy (Frostbite, Shadow Kissed, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound)

Author:    Richelle Mead
Series:      Y
Genre:      Y/A Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Razorbill (October 14, 2010)

THE STORY:
It tells the story of Rose Hathaway, a seventeen-year-old Dhampir girl, who is training to be a bodyguard for her Moroi best friend, Vasilisa "Lissa" Dragomir. In the process of learning how to defeat Strigoi (the evil undead vampires) in St. Vladimir's Academy, Rose finds herself caught in a forbidden romance with her handsome instructor, Dimitri Belikov, while having an unbreakable bond with Lissa.
The book is narrated from Rose's point of view. Due to her mysterious bond with Lissa, she is able to slip into her mind, which enables her to read her mind and feelings. Wikipedia

WHO'S WHO?
  • Rose Hathaway is a Moroi guardian in training. Her race has very little choice as to which path’s their lives will follow due to their sworn duty to protect the fragile Moroi.
  • Lissa, is Rose’s best friend with supernatural powers who shares an uncommon bond with her, the result of her bringing Rose back from the dead. They now have a “psychic” link.
  • Dimitri, is Rose’s mentor, coach and lover. After being bitten by the evil undead he becomes the enemy and Rose ends up having to hunt him down across continents.

THIS WAS HOT....
  • The protagonist is strong and fragile at the same time. She’s not perfect but she knows what she’s about. I liked that because it makes her believable.
  • There was some good writing in there with tear infusing effects. I cried 4 times in Frostbite because a identified with Rose’s abandonment issues and at least ones in the other books. All because of her experiences.
  • I really liked the research done for the European bit of the series in Shadow Kiss. I’m always interested in Romani myth and lore, so I love details that link a book to them.
  • There is a lot of entertaining action which is well narrated and so there aren’t many lulls.

NOT SO HOT:
  • I like vampire books that have a twist in the plot. Something different to what’s been said and yet believable. When I started reading book two (Frostbite, which was my first) I felt like I had already read this before, maybe in The Black Daggerhood Brothers of J.R Ward or the Dark Series by Christine Feehan. The storyline felt familiar.
  • I found the prejudice against Dhampir stifling and without reason. I could not believe that a people would commit themselves to slavery that way and there seemed to be no tangible reason to support the practice which took away credibility from the plot for me. It has a farfetched feel.
  • If this was my first series I would have been put off reading series because I felt there was too much detail in each book about the previous book which made me skip pages. I suspect this must be the series writers’ big challenge. How much to put in this book about the last to inform those readers who missed previous versions?

OVERALL:

I think the Vampire Academy series is likable and has its highlights and would therefore recommend it as a light read. All that being said, it did not inspire the same eagerness I had with my first Y/A as an adult; which reignited my passion for books, Twilight Saga and so do not see myself going out of my way to get a hold of the rest of the series.

Rating:


About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. I can relate to giving in and smapling them because of the fact that they're all over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.L I can see now what internet presence will do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you do your reviews, Wendy, breaking it down into subcategories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Wendy,

    I've read tons of shifter/vamp/werewolf novels...let me know if you want a book list.

    For new writers and new twists on the vampire tale...try Susan Stec's The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein---it just published and the sequel comes out next year (Gator Baitin'). It is a very irreverant take on vamps, chick lit and family with fangs.

    If you want something more 20 something, try 'YOu Suck'.

    As for Werewolves, Kelley Armstrong's Bitten is a very differen take on it. The woman gets away with stuff I only wish I could do.

    If you want more romancy stuff, try JR Ward's Black Daggar Brotherhood series. Vamps who like rap music, big cars and hooking up at the local bar. All with a great back story about them being hunted to extinction and the slow death of their 'god'.

    For werewolfs, try the Sazi series (a hitman turned werewolf), A Hunger Like No Other (Straight funny romance) or if you just want shifter N. Singh or Shelly Laurenston.

    Okay---my pet topic.

    :) Can you tell?

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you mentioned Black Dag Brotherhood earlier but that series is a great represenation of how to build and maintain a larger world while keeping each book on an individual. I've always wondered why other genres don't do this.

    Feehan's series has gotten a little worn with age. She keeps doing the same plots but then again I keep buying them. :)

    Tirz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle thank you so much. It means so much to me when i get such compliments from blogging experts such as yourself.
    And I must mention though that most times when I'm about to type a review i am totally blank but this format which I stole from J.L Campbell really forces me to sit and think about what i've read.

    Tiz I LOOOOOVE JR Ward and her paranormals. I absolutely adored Coven after the brotherhood series and still have to get a hold of Crave.
    I can't read Christine Feehan, I tried and only managed about three books. they all felt the same to me and i just couldn't summon the strength to do through all 21.
    I busy with Bram Stokers Dracula and I am astounded by the differences in writing vampire novels between now and then. I can see I have see i have found a fellow fang fan LOL.
    (PS! I'm in Nigeria right now and someone saw me finishing the last Vampire Academy book and they were very concerned for my soul. Hilarious :-).
    I love the list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't mind a big of a lighthearted romp-- Shelly Laurenston's shifter series (The Mane Event).

    Or for a really good world building series---Singh's Changling-Psy series. Read in order.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top