Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Oct 18, 2011

Don't Get Mad...Get Even

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  1:48 PM


Hello everyone.
Today I'm reviewing Don't Get Mad...Get Even but couple of weeks ago I reviewed another short story work by J.L Campbell (Giving Up The Dream free on Smashworks) and you can find that at my personal blog: Fabulosity Nouveau. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.


What choices do you have when you are abused, cheated on and left with a trail of broken promises? Don’t Get Mad…Get Even. Take an inside look at Jamaican culture and lifestyle through a collection of award-winning stories. You will laugh, cry and commiserate with a compelling cast of characters, who conquer their challenges in unique ways.

My Reading Experience


I loved this book so much for so many reasons, some of which I will try to articulate. It took me a while to even sit and write this review because I was so unsettled after reading the book.
I find myself at very odd times thinking about the characters in those stories and wondering what was going on in the author's mind when she wrote that. How do you explain how you enjoyed a book so emotionally dark and disturbing. Don't get me wrong, it is not heavy or violent in anyway but the stories did affect me emotionally and have definitely had a lasting impact on my mind.
After all, abusive relationships are not lighthearted topics, this book makes you think and wonder about those around you who for example, like Celia in Conditional Surrender, are trapped in loveless, abusive relationships as a result of their own ill-informed choices and even worse the choice she makes to exact get justice feels like anything but justice (which just broke my heart) or the two little girls in Sudden Emancipation, victims of the selfish and amoral acts of those meant to protect them.
I commend J.L for her uncanny ability of capturing life around her in such wonderful detail that in transposing it to " paper" she has you feeling as though it is you experiencing what the characters are going through.
I found Don't Get Mad...Get Even to be a thoroughly engaging read and an imperative addition to any library worth mentioning. Let me also say that as short as the stories in this collection are, they are in my opinion the personification of this well known adage: Dynamite comes in small packages.

Rating: 

Note: You can get a copy at Amazon or Smashwords for as little as 0.99c.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like an amazing story!

    Thanks so much for sharing it.

    New follower here from Book Blogs!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome it is to meet you Megan and thank you so much for the follow. I'm definitively coming over for some love affair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book and I'm like you, it really touched me. I sat and thought a lot about the people discussed in the book. Especially the abused women and I learned a lot about the culture of those in Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, yes, Joy does not suck, it's true. :) I think that should be her tag line if she ever branches out in YA "Books that don't suck". :)

    She's nice, prolific and talented. Sometimes I'm jealous.

    Plus, in her work, she manages to infuse emotion into her work without overflowing in meladrama or sentimentality--a rare treat.

    No, no of course I'm not jealous...I've always been this tint of green.
    Tirz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your kinds words, everybody. Tirz, you're awesome all on your own, if only you'd write!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top