Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Oct 24, 2011

Thorn Queen by Richelle Meade

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  1:15 AM


Author:    Richelle Meade
Series:      Y (Dark Swan)
Genre:      Urban fantasy
Publisher: Zebra; Reissue edition (June 1, 2011)

THE STORY:

Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire, paid to bind and banish creatures from the Otherworld. But after her last battle, she's also become queen of the Thorn Land. It's hardly an envious life, not with her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and Eugenie eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind. And now young girls are disappearing from the Otherworld, and no one--except Eugenie--seems willing to find out why.

Eugenie has spilled plenty of fey blood in her time, but this enemy is shrewd, subtle, and nursing a very personal grudge. And the men in her life aren't making things any easier. Her boyfriend Kiyo is preoccupied with his pregnant ex, and sexy fey king Dorian always poses a dangerous distraction. With or without their help, Eugenie must venture deep into the Otherworld and trust in an unpredictable power she can barely control. Reluctant queen or not, Eugenie has sworn to do her duty--even if it means facing the darkest--and deadliest--side of her nature Amazon


WHO'S WHO?
  • Eugenie is the half human, half fey queen and the protagonist through whom the tale is told.
  • Kiyo is her live in boyfriend, half human half fox.
  • Dorian is a fey king out to get Eugenie in his life and his bed at all costs

THIS WAS HOT....
  • Unlike the Vampire Academy which I thought was a complete bust entertainment wise, this novel was riveting. There were very interesting characters and themes popping up all over the place.
  • The protagonist is ballsy and vulnerable all at once, she is a believable heroin with her own issues. I notice that that this is an ingredient Richelle Meade like in her MC’s.
  • I loved all the different supernatural elements; there are shamans which appeals to my fascination in native American folklore, Underworlds and parallels worlds with all sorts of inhabitants with various degrees of supernatural abilities.
  • I love Dorian , he reminds me of Damon Salvatore in Vampire Diaries. All self serving, conniving, delicious and loyal bad boy. I wish Eugenie (what an awful name) hadn’t wasted all that time with that spineless Kiyo character. 
NOT SO HOT:
  • The main plot kind of got lost in all that was happening. The fey girls were being stolen and something needed to be done but for some reason this was not the core focus. Other matters seemed to take precedence such as love drama and such.
  • The relationship between Kiyo and the MC feels like a sham held together by copious amounts of sex.
  • I’ve never read a book involving fey (or at least I can’t remember doing so) but it seems to me as though there’s far to much mindless sex and I really could do with less of that. Mind you, I have nothing against a good sex scene that makes sense.

OVERALL:
I’m quite looking forward to getting a hold of the first book which has such raving reviews because this one was a really great read from Richelle. I loved it.
Rating:

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

14 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I like the Shaman idea too. It's not done all that often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool cover. The plot sounds interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you did that review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone. Thank you for stopping by and I apologize for my absence. I was unexpectedly network less I. Rural Nigeria this past week.
    Misha great to see you. I wish there was more writing featuring Shaman themes as well. I once read a book by Sheri Tepper and that scared me out of my wits for a week. Her story centered around the spiritual bit and lore of native Americans and it is freaky similar to all I heard of about witchcraft growing io. Right up to the "mpundulu" lightening birds. It was a riveting novel.I must look it up again for review.

    Thanks for popping by J.L

    thanks so much Jennifer, that means a lot to me.

    Hey Toyin, great to see you. I was curious when I saw your name last week but there was no link to your profile. I'll try again now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    I am just hopping over from the PIF blogfest, I'm sorry it's taken me so long. So many to get around. Anyway hope you are well. Your blog is great.
    Eve :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming around Eve. saw your awesome blog and followed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lloyd thank you for coming by. I'll be coming your way shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to be a very long reading year for me...have you noticed that half the new books have a fae or half-fae character? Usually a red-head. At least this girl has dark hair.

    I think my older neices might like it. Late teens/early 20's.

    I'm not sure it'd be for me though.

    I may thumb through the opening chapter sand see if I can fall in like though.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review of Thorn Queen. I'm still hopping around from the last blog hop. If you give in depth reviews like this, both positive and negative, I'll be following. Thanks for gift ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good read - very comprehensive review, Wendy. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Draven coming by and to both you and Talli for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was totally into books 1 and 2 because of their high entertainment factor, but then I got sick of wishy-washy Kiyo pretty fast. Why is he even here? Dorian's more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top