Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 16, 2011

Author Interview: Jeremy Lane

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  2:52 AM


I asked Jeremy Lane for a short interview because last week I featured his book,While I'm Still Myself in my What's In The Mail post. I wanted him to let us in on his book that's coming out early next year is about. This is what Jeremy had to say.

Jeremy: Thanks a ton Wendy for having me

W: You are in the process of creating awareness about your upcoming book at the moment, can you tell us about it? 
While I’m Still Myself is a collection of short stories, all built around a common theme: Showing that life and love are not shaped by an entire lifetime, but by the fleeting moments with unexpected people in unexpected places.

The one word that keeps popping up when reading reviews about While I’m Still Myself is that it is emotional,  can you briefly give us a glimpse of the journey you took when creating these short stories that have such impact to the reader. 
The book deals with some fairly heavy themes, so I think the emotion is natural for the reader. For me, it was very much a purge of memories and experiences I’ve had, people I’ve known, things I’ve seen, all wrapped in a fictional context.
It’s a strange thing to start writing and begin to uncover all of these things that you’re not really cognizant of on a daily basis, but they’re there, and they start pouring out into your characters. The challenge is to be strategic about how it all plays out in the fiction.
To answer your question, it was very much an experience of writing something and at the end saying, “Yeah, ok, I know where that came from.”

One of the things that drew me to your book is the title, While I’m Still Myself, I find it intriguing one, how does it relate to the stories? 
I found it interesting to place characters in situations that, once they come out on the other side, something (or everything) in their being is changed. The idea is summarized pretty well in the story Shape, where the main character has an encounter with a man he doesn’t know and when it’s over his past is re-defined and his outlook is new. It’s really the overarching theme that a lifetime doesn’t make us - a handful of events in that lifetime is what really shapes us.
The title, While I’m Still Myself, is really a resignation that “self” is never static. Hopefully, the stories will define that idea for the reader.

How would you ideally like your reader to experience While I’m Still Myself? 
My initial goal is always just to entertain the reader - to write something that is interesting, that says something, and is a good read. It’s been good to hear feedback from people saying that they found a deeper connection with it, and that it led to some kind of introspection for them. That’s not really what I planned, but hearing those things is pretty powerful. 

I know your book comes out in the new year, can you give us precise details of its release?
The book will be released on January 10th of 2012 and will be available wherever books are sold. Early birds can get the book today from the Tate Publishing website (www.tatepublishing.com). Those who prefer to have signed copies can contact me through my website to make arrangements (www.jeremymarklane.com). 

Jeremy it was lovely of you to give me and my readers a moment and I wish yo every success with your book. 
Reader please keep an eye out for my review of Jeremy's book on December 26th. For your convenience you can also get a reminder for this date on my blogs planned events link HERE.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

5 comments:

  1. Did you have a difficult time giving your a book a working theme for the stories contained with in? I mean when I look through my shorts, I find the topics so broad that it's hard to find a unifying factor.

    Was that a problem for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this interview. It was very personal and I am interested in reading the book now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TirzahLaughs - I wish I could take credit for setting out to make a themed collection, and doing so. I didn't realize I had something of a theme until I was three stories in. Once you realize what's happening, you can start to develope some type of strategy. That said, it might be better this way, so you don't end up forcing a structure too early. Don't forget, a theme doesn't have to be too 'thick.' You can build a theme around an idea, an experience, etc., rather than having to build recurring characters or settings. I'm rambling...and probably didn't answer your question.

    mochagirlsread - thank you for your comment. I really hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and reviewed this yesterday, I am very wary of short story books as only Stephen King has got me through a whole book of them with interest, until now.

    All of the stories are good (and different) however I have 3 I favoured above the other and have added them in my review you cam read over at mine if you wish.

    Wendy once you have reviewed it if you want to link it up to mine just let me know and I will link your blog to mine.

    Great interview btw

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    P.s I am your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Lainy, I'll definitely do that. So glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top