Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 7, 2011

Book Review: Spellbound

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  2:00 AM


Author:    Samantha Combs
Series:      Y 
Genre:      Romantic Fantasy
Publisher: Astraea Press (June 13, 2011)

THE STORY:
Logan Daniels has always led a sheltered life in sleepy, predictable Lancaster, New Hampshire. But when beautiful Serena suddenly appears at school one day, his comfortable existence becomes anything but as he finds himself falling in love with her. There’s something special about Serena Starr. He realizes what it is when he sees her unleash her spells. Soon, a mysterious and foreboding presence settles over his placid home. Amazon (short description)


WHO'S WHO?
  • Logan Daniels is the a resident and teenager in sleepy Lancaster and is the MC although not the only narrator.
  • Serena Starr is the beautiful teenage witch who arrives in town with her sister Tabitha and Elizabeth; they are also the new additions to Logan’s school where he meets them.
  • Jade Daniels is Logan’s sister how also has a strong support presence throughout the novel.
THIS WAS HOT....
  • This is a very sweet YA story that I thought would really be enjoyed by young people between the ages of 14 – 17. The language and style is comfortable for the age group and for me it felt like listening in on a conversation right from the beginning.
  • The beginning  was my most favourite part. Right at the beginning there’s activity. Logan is late for school, he pumps into the three sisters at the administration office and sparks fly as he lays eyes on Serena. You also immediately get the sense that something is in the works as Serena has an” other worldly” feel about her person and her exceedingly good looks add to the mystery.
  • I really like how Samantha kept her supporting characters shining. They just had such strong voices of their own that they kept the book fresh and interesting. You get to see different characters come to their own through self-observation. I thought this was very good.
  • The plot and the world that Samantha created feel authentic. There is clearly a good deal of research that went into putting this story together and it creates a world of witches, warlords and power struggles that is thoroughly believable.
NOT SO HOT:
  • Towards the middle I found the pace slowing down by a great degree due to long descriptions and less dialogue between the characters, almost as it was running out of steam. I also noticed that when there was dialogue it was in long sentences, almost paragraph like speeches.It picks up again in the latter parts but I did find myself skipping a couple of pages from the middle to half way down the latter third of the book.
  • I picked up a couple of errors, the most notable one which confused me was on page 552 in which the best friend says he is not charging entry for Logan and his girl and on the same breath his girlfriend admonishes him for charging them to which he responds he he's trying to recoup his losses. So was he or was he not charging with that first statement where Logans responded "that's big of you man? 
OVERALL:
I had to literally try to remember how being in love felt at that age by taking my mind at least 15 years back. I could somehow remember the overly effusive declarations and the “if I don’t see him tomorrow i’ll be miserable for the rest of my life” feelings. This book is an deal stocking filler for a teenager and for the the young at heart who enjoy YA Romantic Fantasy. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I recieved this ARC from the Author: Samantha Combs in exchange for an honest review.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

4 comments:

  1. So the main story is the love story?

    I guess I was not a romantic in high school, I didn't fall in love there or even have a crush. LOL.

    So I rarely get excited about teen love stories.

    This is one is not for me but I'll pass the title on to my neice.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main story is the wizardry I think but the love theme is equally strong so I'm really not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read for the younger set. Thanks for sharing this read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the format of your reviews! As wonderful as gushing reviews are, it's more informative to see both what readers liked and didn't like.

    -Eliabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top