Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 18, 2011

Poetry: Alone by Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  9:36 AM



I have very little from the works of Edgar Allan Poe and its not for lack of trying. My name is on the waiting list for his books in half the bookshops in Johannesburg. I came across this poem by him which when I read it always make me wonder about and feel sad for the haunted person he must have been.




Edgar Allan Poe


Alone


         From childhood's hour I have not been
        As others were; I have not seen
        As others saw; I could not bring
        My passions from a common spring.
        From the same source I have not taken
        My sorrow; I could not awaken
        My heart to joy at the same tone;
        And all I loved, I loved alone.
        Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
        Of a most stormy life- was drawn
        From every depth of good and ill
        The mystery which binds me still:
        From the torrent, or the fountain,
        From the red cliff of the mountain,
        From the sun that round me rolled
        In its autumn tint of gold,
        From the lightning in the sky
        As it passed me flying by,
        From the thunder and the storm,
        And the cloud that took the form
        (When the rest of Heaven was blue)
        Of a demon in my view.

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful poem, Wendy. Thanks for sharing. And I hope you can get your hands on more of his work soon. I just love Poe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful poem but not his typical stuff. You know he was the father of the modern detective novel?

    His Murders in the Rue Morgue. *Forgive my spelling.

    To quote him,' A wind blew off the sea, chilling and killing my beautiufl Anabel Lee".

    I feel like that with poetry...the wind is blowing and the genre is dying a bit.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://poestories.com/read/annabellee

    To some of his poems online. Look at Annabel Lee, The Bells and his most known--The Raven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that one as well today Tiz and it did stike a cord. What a sad way for love to end. One that almost never even began being so young.But perhaps intuition told them to love that much because their time was short. Yes I can see the colleration between that and the life of poetry but lets hope not. All genre's seem to have their time in history. Let's home its cycle will come around soon again.

    Lovely to see you Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and yes I'm aware that he is the one whose writings inspired the likes of the Sherlock Holmes detective type novels. I read up quite a lot on him when i was looked up Sir Conan Doyle once and he became a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got some Poe on my e-reader when I bought it. Most types come with a collection of free books these days. And you can always try Project Gutenburg:

    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search.html/?default_prefix=author_id&sort_order=downloads&query=481

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much AJ. I'm checking it out now

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the first time I've read that and I really like it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top