Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 30, 2011

The Three Daves, King David and Nicki Elson

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  2:51 AM

Nicki Elson has graciously agreed to come over and chat to us about her book, or at least an aspect of her 
book and I'm grateful she came over to my blog to do this. You'll find my review of Three Daves HERE.
Thanks so much for coming over Nicki, over to you.

I often get asked about the use of Bible verses in my 1980s chick lit/romance, Three Daves.  The story isn't exactly Christian fiction (just ask my mom) so the Psalms at the end of the chapters are unexpected, and even readers who've told me they enjoyed them ask...Why? Wendy was kind enough to invite me over (thank you, dahling!), so I'm going to take this opportunity to explain myself:

While writing the story, I read a Psalm that made me think of a certain scene in the book---Jen was baking in the sun on the beach, having an impromptu examination of conscience she'd rather have avoided. The Psalm was 19:6:
His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

The verse struck me as poignant to that scene---Jen couldn't hide from the heat (or the light) that sees all.  After that, I got the idea to find a Psalm to fit each chapter, sort of like a mini life-application study for my own personal entertainment (such a cool feeling when I'd flip to a page and *bam* there it was, waiting for me).  I figured if I got something out of it, other people might too, and so I included the verses in the text at the end of each chapter---to either be read and considered or skipped over at the reader's discretion.

I'm rather cold-hearted when it comes to axing portions of a story that don't belong, and it can easily be argued (some reviewers have done so) that the Psalms don't fit this primarily light-hearted---and at times graphically naughty---coming of age tale.  But the more I thought about it, the more I determined the verses needed to stay.

I know my main character didn't always make the best choices and certainly won't be nominated for sainthood in this or any other lifetime, but isn't that exactly who the Bible is for---imperfect sinners?  In other words, all of us? There's a point early on when Jen shoves her Bible into her dorm bolster, not to be seen again for the duration of the story, but that doesn't mean the words in it didn't still apply to her life.

And let's not forget who it was who wrote most of the Psalms...King David.  That's right, he's the fourth Dave. ;)

************************************************************
For more on Nicki Elson please visit her blog @: Nicki Elson
Please find the review for Three Daves and other books HERE.

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

12 comments:

  1. I think including verses from Psalms as the end of each chapter is unique and thought-provoking. And as you wrote, readers can either consider the text or skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia. And thanks for having me over Wendy and giving me a change to explain myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guessed it had something to do with King David, and also the fact that it was sex that was his downfall, in his lust for Bathsheba. So yes, sex, psalms, David, it made sense to me but I'm glad to hear your explanation. And did your mother really read Three Daves? If she's anything like my mother she would have blushed a million shades of red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not going to put off reading this book, anymore. You've got my curiosity piqued to the point of action. Clearing my reading list for 'Three Daves.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, no arguments here! You're right, the Bible is for sinners. And not a one of us can say we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hello there Karen, Suze & Alex! Yep, Karen, my mum read it -- and sincerely worried for a while that I was going to have to walk around wearing a scarlett letter, poor poor mumsy.

    Suze...elation followed by insecurity...but mostly elation. :)

    Alex - right on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. King David as the fourth Dave--I love it! Was this a bit of a battle with your editors, Nicki? I remember the first Bible verse I read in Three Daves made me a little "Wha?" but as I continued I began to expect them and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is a great approach that you took. After all Psalms and Proverbs (not to mention the rest of the Bible) offer some of the most practical advice a person can get--be they religious or not. Much great literature has either alluded to or been directly influenced by passages from the Bible.

    Great explanation. I especially like the King David reference.

    Lee
    Would you like to share your A to Z experience? See this week's post.
    Blogging from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jennifer! You know what? I halfway expected an editor or two to balk at the Psalms, but it was never even suggested that they be removed. Which made me even more confident that they should stay in. One thing that was kind of a bummer was that we didn't have time to get permissions for a more modern translation, like the New Living, which I much preferred, so I had to go w/ King James - I think the jolt to a formal language might be causing extra pause by readers.

    Hi Lee! Glad you appreciate the apprach. Thanks for the tips about the new A to Z post - my blogging has been slowed down lately, so I can use all the nudges I can get. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the explanation! they made sense, i was just curious =)
    see you friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have your book and love the verses. The tie-in with King David is a stroke of genius. (He was definitely a lusty guy.) I agree with Alex that the Bible is for sinners. I also agree with my grandmother that no one starts out a saint; that comes later, after much. I don't think there's any need for you to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the reasoning behind the Psalms at the end of each chapter. I agree that readers who don't like them can simple skip over them. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top