Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Dec 25, 2011

Conquest by Vik Rubenfeld Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  9:43 AM

Thank you to all my blog friends and visitors for sticking with me throughout this year. 

I hope this Chrismas brings you and your families all the joy your deserve.
Author:    Vik Rubenfeld
Series:     N
Genre:      Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: BVik Rubenfeld; 1.0 edition (November 29, 2011)

THE STORY:
Want to know what it feels like to be a rock star? Reid Taylor started out with nothing and became part of one of the biggest bands in the world. Now he wants to tell you about the hard struggle every step of the way, fame, the craziness of being on the road, the groupies, and how he found real love that meant more to him than all the groupies in the world. And he wants to tell you about the conflict he had with one of the members of his own band, that threatened everything the band ever hoped to achieve.
WHO'S WHO?
  • Reid Taylor: The MC and bass player in a band called Conquest. 
  • Barry: Good friend to Reid and founder of the band.
  • Clay: Awesome drummer, horrible individual. He is intentionally cruel to everyone, those close to him and fans alike.
  • Link: Lead singer who used to be homeless and is plagued by fears of that being a possibility again.
 THIS WAS HOT....
  • Vik’s book has an endearing quality to it. The characters, or at least 4 of them I found easily likable and really worked their way into my heart. I adored Reid and Barry’s girlfriends.
  • I enjoyed Vik’s descriptions of the live performances. Those were definitely the highlights for me in this novel. You feel the excitement of the narrator, the band and the crowd as he tries to put the pictures into words and strangely enough you also almost hear the music. This I found to be well written. 
  • The MC is a conflicted individual. He tries hard to reconcile his sense of integrity and the world he finds himself thrown in by his career. This adds an interesting dimension and depth to his character. This also applies to other members of the band although not explored in as much detail. 
  • The twist in the ending is so sudden and shocking it leaves you wondering what happens next. I almost expect Vik to tell us there’s something else in the works.
NOT SO HOT:
  • I really had trouble with the writing style. There were areas where I had to go over a sentence once or twice to make sure i understood it. It wasn’t that the language usage was wrong but just awkward to the reader in places. The main thing is I wasn’t sure whether this is how this group of people speak and think or it is the author’s use. There are other examples such as the one below which I thought could do with a bit more work. Example: Pg 62 – I blew the room away so hard that even my competitors just looked at each other and they all saw each other felt, I was the guy.  
  • The sentences run really long. In places they feel like paragraphs of their own. Lots of use of conjuctions to link sentences which would work better as stand alone sentences. Example_Page 19: One of the sentences is 6 lines long on my iPad. screen showing one page So a good sized  paragraph can consist of two or three or so sentences. I find this very overwhelming.
  • The MC likes tries to sound too deep. It results in rambling that sometimes got tiring for me and i ended up skipping some of the pages when he started being too reflective or was being too "deep" when in dialogue with his band mates or girlfriend.
OVERALL:
Vik Rubenfeld’s Conquest is a light read that I think rock band lovers would definitely love. I also imagined what it must have felt like to him as an author to achieve his milestones as the bands did in getting his hit tv show Early Editions on air. I think Vik did very well in letting us in on the world of fame and fortune.I'm not much of a groupie or band fan but Vik still kept me turning the pages.
Great job Vik.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: 
  • Get  your Kindle or Paperback copy at my online bookstore: Fabulosity Galore
  • I reviewed this book on request from the author: Vik Rubenveld.
  • Author links:
Author blog: http://vikrubenfeld.com/
Twitter: VikRubenfeld
Amazon eBook: http://amzn.to/vMepFD
Amazon paperback: http://amzn.to/rHIdUc
Smashwords eBook: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/109735
Barnes & Noble eBook: http://bit.ly/uBe82
  • If you interesting reading more of my reviews then click HERE.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

3 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays to you and yours, Wendy.
    Not a fan of rock bands or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by J.L and happy holidays to you too.
    I've read such variety in the last year and an ending up finding interesting things and people in the strangest of genres. So I think the diversity has been a great thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! Thanks for the rundown on this book--the writing style might be a deal -breaker, but the concept sounds cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top