Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Dec 5, 2011

His Treasure by Kiru Taye Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  9:16 AM


Author:    Kiru Taye
Series:      Y
Genre:      Romantic Fiction
Publisher: Breathless Press (December 1, 2011)

THE STORY:
In a time when men rule their households with firm hands, can a quiet man tame his rebellious wife with persevering love?

Angry at being forced to marry a man not of her choosing, Adaku stubbornly shuns her new husband on their wedding night. However, she soon discovers there are worse things than giving in to a man whose touch awakens her deep desires. In a land where fruitfulness is celebrated, she could soon be labeled a barren woman.
Obinna knows there are several ways to tame a rebellious woman. Patience and perseverance are two of them. Adaku is his treasure and he would never let her go. When her fears push her into his arms, will he be able to convince her to stay with him forever by unleashing the passion within her?

WHO'S WHO?
  • Adaku is a girl, forced into an arranged marriage with another when she is seen standing with the man she hopes to marry unchaperoned.
  • Obinna is Adaku’s husband, a gentle giant who decides to bide his time, waiting for the heart of his new wife to melt towards him.
THIS WAS HOT....
  • From the very first paragraph I could see the Nigerian landsape and her people having conversations. One of the first instances where I went (yeah that is it) was when the wife, Adaku, greets her husband in this manner: “My husband, you are back. Welcome.” This is exactly the kind of thing a Nigerian will say in greeting. What I’m trying to illustrate in quoting this little sentence is that this book , despite it being a work of fiction, is deeply rooted in the reality of Nigerian ways and culture. So when you read it, take nothing for granted. You will learn wonderful and astounding things about Nigeria and her people while you soak up the drama and tension.
  • I sincerely love Kiru’s use of diction. She captures with precision the manners of speech that are specific to the region in which the story is based. As a result of that in your mind’s eye you can see the behaviours of the characters. I still have her characters hopping around in my head even as I type this. 
  • The sex scenes (or do you call them love scenes,  who cares?), are hot, steamy and tasteful. I love the way Obbina makes love to his wife and the chemistry between them is so palatable. Somehow, Kiru manages to make them both erotic and conservative. I can believe that two people in the time she speaks of would pleasure themselves in the way she describes. More than then average man and woman of the time but not so out there as to question the scene's  credibility.

NOT SO HOT:
  • It’s way too short. I know its a novella and I wish it wasn't. I’m a slow reader and I finished it in two hours and went Oh no, is that it? Just to be sure I flipped through empty pages in the back just in case I caught something extra. **Joking**. But anyway this book is like eating chocolate when you’re on diet. You buy that tiny bar of your favourite chocolate for a treat and then it’s over just as you begin to savour and melt along with it . And it leaves you craving for more. I’m craving for more.
  • My other point has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the book and Kiru has promised to be mindful of my request in her next book. I adore that cover but that man's physical condition not so much. Many may not know this but Nigerians men's bodies are like sex on legs. Especially those who work the field or outdoors as Obina does. I want muscle definition on that man. Let him look like he can carry Adaku as if she weighs less than a feather over the threshold. ***OMG_I tickled myself here****

OVERALL:
What can I say. This is one of my most entertaining reads for this year. I really loved it. Kiru has set a very high standard for herself in her debut novel.
On hindsight, I must also reiterate that if you are not a product of Nigeria, this is one book that will give you great insight into the lives of the people living in the heart of the country. I find that even though the book says its setting is pre-colonial Nigeria, the beliefs and tradistions are still deeply ingrained in them today. I wish I could I could say more with examples but then I will really be spoiling it.
Just go and enjoy great storytelling.
Rating: 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: 

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

7 comments:

  1. This books sounds interesting. Now about the choice to use sex or love to describe the scene, hmmm, who cares,lol. I'm going to place on my 2012 TBR list and hope to remember to purchase through you. will make it a note next to book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see a book from a Nigerian perspective. I'm African-American, not Nigerian, but it's always nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it, this is a great read, wished it was a full novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sid, I was really torn about what to call them so i just chose both because love scene sounded so....pretty woman.LOL

    @Maurice, thank you for coming by. I haven't read many African writers and I hope to discover more who right like Kiru. Africa is an exotic and thrilling location to read about.

    @ Myne, maybe next time we'll get something longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. stopping by to let you know about my 2012 Reading Challenge.
    http://sidnereviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your review! I need to read so much more! Been slipping this year. Next year will be better. And this book is on my reading list for 2012!

    (Btw, thanks for following my blog.)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top