Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Dec 21, 2011

WRITING WITH DYSLEXIA by Samantha Bayarr

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  8:00 PM


Hello friends.
I'm so happy to greet you from my home in South Africa. We landed yesterday after an exhausting trip from Nigeria and I thank God for journey mercies. I'm still not hundred percent back technologically but my sweet husband allowed me to hog his computer today.

On my return I'd like to welcome on the Quest Spot Samantha Jillian Bayarr from Livingston Hall Publishers. Its wonderful having you here Samantha. Thank you for accomodating me in your hectic schedule.

Bio: Samantha  founded Livingston Hall Publishers in 2002. Named for her great, great grandfather, Edward Livingston Hall, who owned a publishing house in the 1800's, until his passing. Working in the  production aspect of publishing has provided her with the expertise needed to produce, develop and design books from the inside out. When it came time to publish her own work, her experience in the field lent her the ability to produce several genres, specializing in Amish Romance. Her first book, Little Wild Flower, an Amish Romance, was borne from her up-close encounters with the Amish community she lived near in Indiana until 1995 when she moved to Florida.
-------------------------------------------------------------
My mother used to tease me and say I didn’t know my right from my left. She was partially correct. And unfortunately, I didn’t find out why until I became an adult.
It wasn’t that I didn’t know my right from my left; it was that my brain couldn’t process which was which unless I looked at my hands and remembered which hand I wrote with. Thank God I’m not ambidextrous!

Typing is also very difficult for me, even though I took typing classes and I know where the keys are. But when I type, my mind puts the letters in the wrong order. For example: instead of typing “the” for the, it comes out “hte” nearly every time, but when I look at it, it seems normal to me. Some days, it seems I spend more time with my spell check and the backspace key, than I do getting the book down on the page. If not for spell check I wouldn’t get very far…but I’ve discovered a flaw in the spell/grammar check recently when I posted my new Amish Romance, Jacob’s Daughter. An acquaintance on FB informed me after reading the book that there were two separate spots where I used the word “trails”, when I meant for it to say “trials”. Because “trails” is a recognized word, my spell check did not pick it up! I have since then fixed the error, despite the fact that several hundred copies had already been sold containing the error…to those who have that version…I apologize heartily.

How can I write like this, you ask? Well since I type so fast, and I cheat and put the spell-check on automatic, I can get a major portion of my writing done fairly quickly despite my dyslexic fingers—or is it all in my head? As a matter of fact, it has to do with vision, and how our minds interpret words, and for some, numbers too. I, unfortunately have trouble with numbers as well. So as a defense mechanism, I would memorize numbers, such as phone numbers, locker combinations (yes, I still remember my phone number that we had when I was a kid, and my locker combination from school). Nowadays, it’s addresses, license plate numbers, etc. But ask me to count cards to play poker, and that’s something I can’t do!

Being a writer, I have tons of books in my head—memorized—getting them onto the computer is the difficult part. Some days, I find myself spelling the words out loud as I type to ensure I’m getting the words down correctly. That method doesn’t work when I’m tired. 

Since writing is my passion, I thank God for the technology that we have today that allows me to pursue my dream. It takes a lot of patience and hard work to write with dyslexia, but with persistence and dedication to mastering the skill, I’ve discovered a whole new way to use my talents for good instead of mischief—through the written word.

--------------------------------------------------------
For more guest posts from this blog visit my Guest Post page.

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to SA dear, here's wishing you and your family a marvelous Christmas and New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Wendy.

    Samantha, it's amazing the things we take for granted that are huge challenges for others. I lift my hat to you. Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Samantha, I have a brother who's dyslexic as well, so I know from his experience how hard it is to write.

    I think it's wonderful that you wrote whole books, since I'm pretty sure that many people in your life tried to convince you that you couldn't. I know my brother hates reading because his teachers told him he was stupid when he knew he wasn't.

    All the best for your future projects!

    And hey Wendy, welcome home. ;-) Have a blessed Christmas and a prosperous new year. X

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top