Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jan 24, 2012

Book Review Hobby Become Full Time Jobs

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  3:10 PM

I was thinking the other day about how much time we spend on our hobbies such as doing book reviews. 
Sometimes you start something off and you have absolutely no clue how it will pan out and you just hope you like the results. I must say I do enjoy my book review blog, mostly because it keeps me aware that I need to read. Its rare that one will see me doing nothing without a book whether a physical one or an eBook on my iPad. 

But I've noticed in the last couple of months that the TBR of my kind of books is always climbing because I forever seem to be reading books on review request. And when I do read an author I met through blogging or on some other forum on the web and they give me their book as a gift, I always feel the least I can do is give a review and that goes to the upper section on my TBR. So I never seem to make a dent on it.

Now I realise that I'm not alone in this. While visiting fellow reviewers blogs this weekend I came across a blogger who mentioned this very thing. She had her preferred TBR list as her New Year Resolution item but had no idea how she'd get to it because of a long list she has of books to read for review. 

So I'm left wondering if I really have to choose. I have so many reviews to write on books I bought and read in the last 5 months and yet there seems to be no time on the blogging schedule to review or post them. My review requests have become a full time job. One I love because it means I meet lots of wonderfully talented people along the way. And I must say I do enjoy the idea of having some kind of connection with the writer whose book I'm reading. It must be that thing about a need for approval and self actualization...mmmhhh?

So my question to you is, how do you find balance things so you can enjoy the best of both worlds?


About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    Sounds like you need to get less sociable! Kidding of course. What I do is create a preference. For instance, I primarily read memoirs. Not only does this tailor my reading specifically to what I'm more apt to enjoy, but it trims the list too.

    Also, I let authors know I purchase their books if I decide to write a review. This is another great to-do because, again it allows me to select what I want to read without obligating me to write a review.

    In your case this may be a little harder, but only because you are just so darn friendly;-) You're everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally have this same problem. When I realized it was making me dislike reading I had to change. So I am much more selective when I receive review requests - I say no a lot more. And I have reserved Fridays to review books from my TBR list. When I receive a request, I only accept if I really want to read the book and only if I can reasonably review it within 2 months. I am still overwhelmed with reqests but I've managed to keep the to do list smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you guys are doing it much better than me. I must replan with your suggestions in mind otherwise you're right Dana, you end up just not looking forward to reading anymore.

    Rhonda there's a book I'm looking for that you listed in your Memoirs list once written by Condeleezza Rice. Do you by any change have a link to that post handy. There were a number of books on it that I wanted to give a bash and I want to choose one for black History month. I hope you can help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just reordered Condi's book...(gave the other away). It's on Amazon.
    Title: Extraordinary, Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family

    link: http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Ordinary-People-Memoir-Family/dp/0307888479/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327509040&sr=1-3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops; Hooked on Books was my post.
    http://oebooks.blogspot.com/2011/11/whats-my-reading-been-looking-like-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, It is sometime hard to balance things to enjoy the best of both world. To the best of my knowledge, one of the two things will suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I started my book review blog for pleasure, I try to keep it that way outside of the blog tour dates I take on, which are few. I feel a little guilty sometimes when I take on books and it takes me ages to get to them. When it starts to feel like a job though, it's time to take a step back. I try not to feel pressured, in a case where (like right now) I have two books I need to write reviews for but haven't yet got around to them.

    Pace yourself so that the joy doesn't disappear out of what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started to get a lot of review requests come in at one point and I just couldn't manage them all! As much as I love promoting authors who haven't really had much exposure I also still like to read the more 'popular' authors too. This year I've decided to just read the books I want to. There's too many out there and sometimes the review requests get to be a bit too much. If I had more time I would but it's hard with having a full-time job and also trying to maintain some social life! :)

    Interesting post and definitely some good things to think about.

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top