Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jan 9, 2012

The Brevity Of Roses by Linda Cassidy Lewis: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  7:11 PM

Before going into todays review I'd like to ask that if you have a moment and are interested, please go to my personal blog for my post called: MyFirst New Year Resolution List

Review
Author:    Linda Cassidy Lewis
Series:    (N)
Genre:      Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Two-Four-Six Publishing

THE STORY:
Jalal Vaziri has looks, money, women—and a habit of running from reality. When he abandons New York and reinvents himself as a poet in a California beach house, he thinks he's running from a father who hates him, a career mistake, and endless partying. A fresh start is what he needs. And after an intriguing woman enters his life, he believes all his dreams are coming true. But that dream dissolves into nightmare, and Jalal flees again. Only this time, his retreat is blocked by a woman who challenges him to face that it's himself he's trying to outrun.
WHO'S WHO?
  • The MC is Jalal, a very troubled young man of Persian origin. We follow his love life from his twenties to 40’s.
  • Meredith is a significantly older woman who manages to capture both Jalal’s and his family’s heart.
  • Renne, a significantly young and even more troubled woman who becomes Jalal’s love interest in his forties.
    • This books starts off with a bang and I was gripped from the get go.. We meet Jalal on a morning like any other in his debauched world. As usual he had a major black out, he can’t remember the name of the familiar looking blond extracting underwear from his sheets have nor does he have a clear picture of any events that led to her sharing his bed. He is clearly a very troubled man from the get go. I love drool worthy troubled handsomes.
    • I also like the way the author quickly established the plot and continues on with how out MC will go about sorting through his life. You quickly realise the purpose to the story even though you have no idea of the road that will be taken to realise it.
    • I found Jalal and Merideth’s relationship to be the most rr ivetting aspect in the whole book. I loved the idea of the older qwoman falling for the much younger man and her being so sickengly wealthy as well added to the hot cougar perception, although she's nothing but. I was really moved by her life and experiences and the way she and Jalal just seemed to effortlessly fit together.
    • There are things that really intrigued me about Jalal’s personality. First that he is of Persian decent but there's no evidence that he has ever had a relationship with someone from his background even though all his brothers and sisters are married to their own. He seems to be the one who is least Persian in his family besides his nieces and nephews. I also find it interesting that he never has a relationship with someone who is of the same age group as he is. He is atypical in his love choices. To me its almost like he’s looking for something just out of reach with both his relationships.
    • I last I loved the way the author captured things that were intrinsic to Middle Eastern cultured and seamlessly added them to the story in the form of events that happen in Jalal’s family and even the family gatherings.

    NOT SO HOT:
    • After Merideth dies so unexpectedly things don’t sit well with me again. I understand the conflict and grief that Jalal experiences and leads him to shutting off the world, which I find so romantic (there’s something wrong with my head). But what I couldn’t buy into as much as I bought into Meredith is Renee’s one with  Jalaal. For some reason which I can’t pinpoint, I just couldn’t relate or inlove with this relationship. As a result even though there were real highs in the third and last leg of the story, I didn’t feel the excitement of the first two thirds.
    •  I felt cheated when Merideth dies even though I realise that the idea of the book is not to deal with the story between Merideth and Jalal but rather Jalal’s life and love as a whole.
    OVERALL:
    I’m so glad Linda asked me for a review because she is a wonderful writer. She has a way of saying so much with only a few words. I look forward to reading more from her.  In Brevity of Roses she has written a story about love that has left me contemplating the different faces and locations of love, leaving me to conclude that if you’re open to it, you can find love and purpose in the most peculiar of places.


                                                                               Rating: 
    4.5/5

                                                             Paperback              Kindle





     
    • For more about Linda Cassidy Lewis visit her blog HERE.
    • If you interested in reading more of my reviews click HERE.

    About the Author

    Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

    3 comments:

    1. Sounds very interesting. And Asian core family values are often similar across various ethnic groups, will be kind of like reading about an Indian American's quest to do the balancing act while retaining control over his/her life choices.
      Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year. I don't know how your comment ended up in spam though.

      ReplyDelete
    2. It happens rek and I don't know why. I've also had my follows comments being dumped in there. Blogger niggles I suppose. Have a wonderful new year too.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I've never read a love story with Persian characters so of course this sounds interestingly different.

      ReplyDelete

    I love hearing from you....

    Subscribe
    Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

    What they says

    Contact information

    Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
    Proudly Powered by Blogger.
    back to top