Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jan 11, 2012

Writer Inspiration by Laura Pauling: Guest Post

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  8:06 AM

Today I'd like to welcome the beautiful and extremely talented  Laura Pauling. I enjoy Laura's posts at her blog so much I thought why not have her over to share a few pearls of her wisdom with us. Her blod is inspires many writers to keep at their craft, encouriging them to be even better than they are.

If you haven't been to Laura's blog I hope you'll make a turn after reading this post.
Welcome Laura, thank you for accepting my invitation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wendy invited me to guest post and talk about inspiration and I had to think about it for a couple days. That made me take a deeper look at my own life during the times when I'm feeling inspired.

And when I'm not.

Thanks for having me Wendy!

Inspiration is such a tough word.

Because when you feel inspired and the rush of creativity blows through and your brain is on overload and your fingers are tingling to type and your heart is soaring and your confidence is sky high...
Then life is wonderful.

You feel like a real writer.

Successful. Or pretty darn close to it.

But realize that inspiration is a gift that comes and goes. We can't chain it to our sides or keep it in a cage. And would we want to? Really?

As writers or any artists, many things can steal our inspiration.

A harsh critique from a writer friend. Not mean. Just the kind that makes you realize you have to rewrite the whole thing! (Totally been there.)

A rejection from an agent or editor. (Totally been there.)

The chocolate chip cookies are all gone. (Totally been there.)

But sometimes there is no reason. Inspiration flaps its wings and lifts off from our shoulders and we don't understand why we're feeling down and insecure.

Accept it for what it is. Don't force it. Feeling up and then down and then up and then down is part and parcel with being an artist/writer.

Don't dwell on it.

Read great books. Watch terrific movies.

Maybe there are some truths to those critiques? And maybe we're ready to face them now that we've indulged in our favorite actors and characters.

I love to break down books chapter by chapter to discover secrets of plot or characterization. On my blog http://laurapauling.com/ I run a series called Plot Busters, where I analyze YA and MG books according to Blake Snyder's SAVE THE CAT method.

It inspires me. I learn. I grow as a writer. And then I want to apply it to my work. Find what works for you.

Sometimes you have to let go of inspiration in order for it to come back.

And you know it will. It always does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again Laura I thank you for coming over. This is a wonderful message.

Note
You can connect with Laura using the following links:

To look at my other author interviews please feel free to visit my author interview page HERE

Tagged as:
About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

10 comments:

  1. great post! I think we've all been there and can appreciate this advice. So often I've tried to hang on to it only to have it slip away.I really should learn to focus on other things instead of forcing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thoughts. Blessings,Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine post. Inspiration is like a scaredy-cat rabbit. Sometimes you have to sneak up on it so it doesn't hop away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for having me Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this post and related to it and I'm not a writer but my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice post, Laura. My muse is currently on holiday without me. :( I hope it returns with an exciting story.
    Thanks for sharing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Laura. The best thing to do when inspiration fades is nothing. Wait for it to come back on it's own. It's a terrible thing to chase.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great post. I definitely find the writing process a rollercoaster and it can be hard to keep going when that inspiration takes a flight out the window but I do tend to start reading more when that happens, so there's a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic post - and so true. Inspiration is a fickle creature... the one constant in writing is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The writing process is an exciting journey. I like to think of it as an excercise in "discipline" in and out of inspiration.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Sochi
    Twitter: @a_iki

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top