Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Feb 27, 2012

Fallen by Karin Slaughter: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  8:13 AM



Author:    Karin Slaughter
Series:     N 
Genre:      Crime Fiction,
Publisher: Dell; Reprint edition

THE STORY:
There’s no police training stronger than a cop’s instinct. Faith Mitchell’s mother isn’t answering her phone. Her front door is open. There’s a bloodstain above the knob. Everything Faith learned in the academy goes out the window when she charges into her mother’s house, gun drawn. She sees a man dead in the laundry room, a hostage situation in the bedroom. What she doesn’t see is her mother. When the hostage situation turns deadly, Faith is left with too many questions. She’ll need the help of her partner, Will Trent, and trauma doctor Sara Linton to get some answers. But Faith isn’t just a cop anymore, she’s a witness—and a suspect. To find her mother, Faith will have to cross the thin blue line and bring the truth to light—or bury it forever.

WHO'S WHO?
  • Faith – the first person we meet who upon returning from a seminar finds her mother kidnapped and her baby locked up in the garage.
  • Will – oh hot insecure Will – Faith’s police partner and extremely damaged individual.
  • I fell in love with Will in this story. I thought he was the most complex of all the characters, his character has great depth and it certainly helped that he was so shaggably good looking and built like a mountain.
  • I’ve read one other Karin Slaughter novel, Skin Privilege which I reviewed HERE before and you might remember how I raved about the gory entertainment in it. I was pleased to find that although the genre is the same, blood and gorewise, the  premise for the story, location and characters were day and night compared to the previous book. So it felt really fresh, not at all like its was produced on demand as one sometimes experiences of writers who have been at it for a long time.
  • There are shocking turns of events that keep you guessing right up until revelation. This is always good in a crime novel. It certainly kept my interest piqued.


I DID NOT QUITE ENJOY:
  • It’s not so much one particular thing as the feel of the whole novel. The grip-the-edge-of-your-seat factor was not hundred percent there and I took a couple of days with this one even though there was a very decent effort made to get it tense and suspenseful. 
  • I felt at times the dialogue was a bit stilted and not flowing naturally. The good in the novel however outweighs this little niggle and don’t let it put you off as you might come away thinking i’m talking absolute bollocks.
OVERALL:
Good, solid writing, great plotting and story telling. Once again I wasn’t affected by the gunshot through heads and knive wounds  through heroine filled stomachs or fingers being cut off because somehow they didn’t have much shock value to me. If you are squeamish however I’d say read it but with a little caution, not much.

Rating:  4 /5 This book: Just Missed True Awesomeness.

Kindle: $9.59 and Paperback: $14.13


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: 
  • For your Copy go to my online bookstore: Fabulosity Galore
  • Book Source: I bought this Fallen and because I feel like I got an author I'll always like reading from the last nook I thought I should share this one too and you may enjoy it even more..
  • If you interesting reading more of my reviews then click HERE.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

1 comment:

  1. ok, this one is going to go on my maybe read book list. nice review.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top