Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 17, 2012

I'm Reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  7:58 AM


Last night I finally picked up my 10th Anniversary edition of my favourite book ever written: American Gods and although I’ve listened to the audio version of this book more than 10 times and can quote verbatim segments of it I’ve never actually read it. I’m even more pleased that this is the authors most preferred version as he was able to persuade the publishers to use his original untrimmed scrip so this one has pieces of the story that had been cut off during the editor’s final draft of the previously printed version. 

According to Neil’s significantly long introduction (which I read diligently as any self respecting cult follower would),  this version is about twelve thousand words longer.
One of my favourite things about Neil Gaiman’s writing are the quotes he either coins or uses from elsewhere and here is one I love which I thought to share with you. This one is marks the beginning of chapter one.

The boundaries of our country, sir? Why onto the north we are bounded by the Aurora Borealis,
to the west we are bounded by the rising sun, on the south we are bounded by the procession of the Equinoxes, and on the west by the Day of Judgement.
                                                                                        -The American Joe Miller’s Jest Book.

Happy Reading this weekend. Johannesburg is very rainy and a little cold. Perfect weather for books, duvets, favourite wine or port (if you not preganant), feel good food, hot chocolate, etc.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe it is 12,000 words longer! That's so much. I haven't read this book yet so I think I will start with the edited version! It's rainy here in England too today- good book reading weather! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quote. Would you believe that I never read any of Gaiman's work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything by him, only just recently have I even heard of him. Maybe I'll give him a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read only one or two of Gaiman's work. For a no of years I had to give buying new books. But my collection benefited since I reread them a dozen times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Neil Gaiman. Enjoy your read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy!

    Sochi (Twitter: @a_iki)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top