Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 9, 2012

Poetry Friday: I Killed A Man In Graspan by Monty Grover.

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  6:16 AM

During one of my more recent scavenging bouts in second hand bookstores I came across a fabulous book on South African Poetry. The very first poem I chanced upon sent shivers down my back and raised goosebumps down my forearms. It is chilling to say the least especially because it is an account of a real event in the life of this soldier. Monty was an Australian soldier during one of the Boer Wars that took place in South Africa in the very late 1800 to early 1900's.

We sometimes underestimate the impact that taking a life has on a the average individual, no matter how justified the life taker was. Be it in war, a burglary at home,  in an accident, on the job for police, etc. This is what this poem just brought home to me. The magnitude of the trauma suffered by the one who "wins" the battle to stay alive.

Source
I couldn't find a copy of this poem online so I just took a picture of the pages on my book. Its just too long to type. I hope you don't mind.

Interestingly this poem is still on display at what we fondly refer to as the Old Fort which is the Castle Of Good Hope In Cape Town (a historical sight seeing spot if you ever visit our shores)/.
Just a bit of trivia on this castle:
Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) as a maritime replenishment station, the Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa.Source
It also had facilities for holding/housing slaves both for domestic use and those those awaiting transportation as they were part of the trade commodities. 

Back to I killed A Man In Graspan. What do you think?






About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

15 comments:

  1. Super poem! I am so glad you shared this with us. It has perfect timing and is a great confession from someone accustomed, but apparently sicked of war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving and intense yet written so more of factly.
    I admire him for the courage to write about his inner turmoil and what he believed was the actual truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys thanks for coming by. itso heartbreaking this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, Wendy, It's touching and shows another side to war not often seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous poem. I actually teared up. And I'm loving that you took pics and posted that. What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked that very much - just wars or not, taking a life must take a toll on the spirit. This is also why I'm generally against the death penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather was in WW1 and he said that he could never forget the men he killed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sad memories for one to have to live the rest of their life with Susan. we should be so much more supportive and caring of people that come from war because of the demonds they live with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sad and unforgetable. thanks for the idea to pic such long writings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Never read this poem before, but glad I read it now. Such a powerful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Powerful stuff.

    Btw, congrats on your baby girl! Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A sad and moving poem for sure. I often wonder about soldiers who kill during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is sad but inspirational as well on how to live better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with everyone, a moving poem. And what's this I hear about a baby girl?!?!? Time must have flown while I was back in reality land...

    Lotsa love from your ever absent bloggy pal,
    Linny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LINNY. How super awesome. We miss you on blogville.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top