Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 24, 2012

Newes From The Dead by Mary Hooper: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:00 AM

I’ve been wanting to mention this book for such a long time but there’s just never a moment anymore. This was one was most memorable this year for me. Let me break it down and explain why.










Click To Buy
Author:    Mary Cooper
Series:     N
Genre:      Historical Non-Fiction
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
There’s a TINY spoiler alert.

THE STORY

WRONGED. HANGED. ALIVE? (AND TRUE!)
Anne can't move a muscle, can't open her eyes, can't scream. She lies immobile in the darkness, unsure if she'd dead, terrified she's buried alive, haunted by her final memory—of being hanged. A maidservant falsely accused of infanticide in 1650 England and sent to the scaffold, Anne Green is trapped with her racing thoughts, her burning need to revisit the events—and the man—that led her to the gallows.

  • It’s a combination of real life drama, a love story, medical mystery and history (Baroque era) and imagination. This is truly a combination made in heaven for me.
  • This is the third book I read where the author uses real life events and people to create a mesmerizing story. Refer to The Girl With The Pearl Earring and The Irish Game which I absolutely loved. I think I’ve struck gold.
  • All of Mary Hooper’s characters comes to life. She writes with such eloquence at just the write pace. There is no time to be bored with this one. This story is told through two characters, Anne green herself who is mainly having a conversation with herself while in her unconscious state and one of the attending medical students, Robert.
  • As someone who loves history I also loved the vivid details with which the writer describes daily life of this period. I must say though I am also glad that I was born in this time. The average womans’ condition was most certainly unbearable. The reason Anne Green gets hanged for example is that she had a stillborn child fathered by her master’s son.
  • I must say I also loved the look and feel of my hardcover copy of the this book.  The paper used feels old and worn, with an unfinished texture on the edges. It not only add to the aesthetics of the book but also to the mystery in its title and ultimately to the enjoyment experienced when paging through it.
 NOT SO HOT:
  • Nothing here. I love it when this space stays empty.
OVERALL:




I have no negative comments at all for this one. I real it more than four months ago and can still remember every detail. I highly recommend this one.

Rating: 
5 out of5





Note!
  • You can also get your Hardcover copy at my online book store: Fabulosity Galore
  • Book source: I bought this book sometime last year and its been patiently waiting in my TBR pile ever since.
  • If you're interested reading more of my reviews then click HERE.
  • If you would like to request a book review or you would like to guest post here feel free to email me: fabulosityreads@gmail.com

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

0 WORDS OF THE WISE...:

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top