Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 4, 2012

The Dragon's Call by K.w McCabe: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  12:30 AM


I’m beginning to feel repetitive because I can only keep gushing about Kareen’s (K.w McCabe) writing. 
What really makes me drool over her books her storytelling skill and fresh approach to well traveled ground  Everything she writes has a refreshingly new perspective and she just gets what her readers enjoy. I imagine her peeking over my shoulder asking: “Are you entertained yet?”
Last Sunday I settled down with The Dragon’s Call which was actually the eBook she had sent to me with a review request. I was under the impression that this was another short story so imagine my surprise when I found out it was actually a novella or a novel i’m not sure. This was such a lovely surprise. This book was so good I could not sleep until I was done. My iPad’s battery died and I stood by the charger in the kitchen at midnight (i’m a slow reader and have infant) to finish the last chapter.




Source
Author:    K.w McCabe
Series:     Y
Genre:      YA_Fantasy, Paranormal, Dystonian
Publisher: Anchor (September 14, 2004)

THE STORY:

In a thoughtless final act of destruction, humans wake the one creature of legend they have no protection against. Years after the complete subjugation of the human race, Derek, heir of the Dragon Queen, and Cecily, create a tentative friendship. But something or someone is stalking the human enclave. Cecily and Derek must find out who and why before she's next.

Sidenote
I love K.w’s short stories but now I’m in love with everything she puts pen to period. The Dragons Call is a YA with a 17 year old MC told from two POV’s – her father’s journal entries and an account of the MC’s story by the author.

  • I completely enjoyed the journey that K.w takes us on. And as I thought about how much I was enjoying the story I started wondering what about it was so great. This is what I decided. The Dragon’s Calls has:
  • An amazing plot. There is great flow of events, just the right amount of action, points of tension and most importantly it has great pace. There is no lull in the story and I think only great story tellers get this right. Nothing is more irksome that reading a book that’s got gap fillers to get to the word count.
  • That being said, the characters really made the book for me, they have great depth. Be they dragons or human, I felt they were real with real personal challenges to deal with. They had good and bad traits, went through highs and lows and I felt the main characters really strives to be the best they could be,  except for the super villain but even with him I could imagine such a person. People in our societies who only thrive when inflicting pain on others.
  • I also liked that the conflict in the story was multidimensional. There were different stages and sources for conflict which increased in intensity as the story progressed. I think this accounted for most of the tension which propels the reader to keep turning the pages.

 NOT SO HOT:
  • I found it quite challenging in the beginning to follow the time frame because I didn’t make the connection between the father and the daughters separate accounts straight away. I just decided to keep reading until I picked up the pattern. I’m not sure how this could have been differently or even of other readers will notice it. So you might want to ignore this point.
  • I had one very small pet peeve; the word diffident was kind of overused in the first third of the book.
OVERALL:
I was very relieved to find out in the author’s note that this book is part of a series and that she’s currently working on Dragon’s Kin. The ending  was expected I think but pleasurable as they path leading to it full of twist. Had it been that this was a standalone, I would not have been happy as like the MC and her father, I still have questions I hope will be answered in the next installment.
Rating: 

Support the author.



Note!
  • You can also get your Kindle or Paperback copy at my online book store: Fabulosity Galore
  • Book source: I received an ePub of this book as a request for review. I'd like to mention that the author did not influence my opinion in anyway.
  • If you're interested reading more of my reviews then click HERE.
  • If you would like to request a book review or you would like to guest post here feel free to email me: fabulosityreads@gmail.com

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

0 WORDS OF THE WISE...:

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top