Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 3, 2013

My Journey at The Skills Depot

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:51 PM

Oh my friends I miss you all ever so much and I can't wait to get back.
My absence is all for a very good cause though. Late last year I managed to lift myself out of my depressive state and just got on with things. I had no money and so started my training business on a DIY mode, everything from website, to online and off line marketing to actually writing the learning programs and recruitment. The whole shabang and I kid you not.
There were many nights that I got into bed for an hour or two at five thirty in the morning. I'm still burning the midnight oil but I can at least now say I've gotten to getting to bed by 02:00 AM. 

Through it all I've persevered and its starting to pay off. I've signed on a number of clients and one of them have paid their bill twice in late February already for future programs and there are more contracts coming this week starting Monday. I've added directors and CEO seminars to the course offering and we're getting business by referral already. So things are really looking up.

The years 2011 and 12 are years I want to forget very quickly and I thank God for what He is doing to restore by career and my family which by the was at breaking point last year. These two years were indeed the darkest for us. But the winds of change have arrived. Thank You Jesus.

I envisage that in just a couple of months I'll be able to get back to the fun things and visit you all but in the meantime....back to the grindstone, Monday's a sleep away. 
By the way I'd love it if you'd stop by my company website sometime and share some thoughts: http://www.theskillsdepot.com/
I also found this lovely piece by Neil Gaiman, whom as you all know I love with ridiculous abandonment. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 I fell in love with Lisa Snellings in New Orleans, about five minutes before I met her.  

 It was at World Fantasy Con in 1994, and I was walking through the art show.  There was a sculpture of a Jack in a Box called 'Don't Ask Jack,' and it was love at first sight.  I remember the way the Jack grinned and extended his hand.  There was something about it that seemed perfect ---uncanny, disturbing, as it it held secrets.
 One day I would write a short story all about that Jack in the Box.
 Lisa Snellings turned up ten minutes later.  She had the kind of smile that eats your heart.  I told her I loved the Jack and asked if it was for sale.  She told me it wasn't, and that she'd been doing sweet pieces until recently, when she'd decided to follow her impulses and make art that was more disturbing.
 I told her she was on the right track as far as I was concerned, and walked away obsessed.
 We met a few months later, in Atlanta, at World Horror Con.  She had more pieces with her; a working merry-go-round of strange and monstrous creatures, and I bought one of the carousel beasts (and its rider).  We argued over the price, I remember that much, as I viciously haggled with her to try and get the price up to what I felt she should be charging.
 I walked away feeling proud of myself for having paid double what she was asking, and then she sent me an extra carnival creature, and won anyway.
 This is because Lisa is so much wiser than I am, I think.  She gave me a 'Don't Ask Jack' statue too.  Not the original, though.
 I love her mind, because the creatures come out of it.  I love her fingers, because the creatures REALLY come out of those.
 I do not remember quite how I started writing stories and poems to accompany her sculptures.  I remember that I did it, though, for FAN Magazine, I think it was.  I remember how much fun it was.  Her sculptures always seem to me to be stories, frozen into time.  I enjoyed trying to tease the stories back into the world.
 We were friends by now, and have remained friends ever since.  Sometimes really close, sometimes we fall off each other's radars and stop talking for months or years; but there's a jester and a frog and a winged girl with a telescope in the nook on my stairwell, and they move, and Lisa's there when they do, just as she's there whenever I notice one of her poppets in my house.  I think they move, when I am not watching them.
 Her art is deeper than it looks.  She's been balancing commerce and art for years now, and she always makes stuff that's haunting, delirious and odd, even when she's trying to be sweet and cuddly (those poppets are, quite frankly, the stuff of nightmares, which is probably why I like them so much.  Even the half-eaten ones she once gave me).
 Sooner or later, I have no doubt, Lisa and I will make some more art together.  I have no idea what it will be.  But I trust Lisa, and the art she makes, and I trust the stories.
--Neil Gaiman 2012

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that the dark days are almost over...I personally have learnt to accept the tougher moments of life, because when the light streams in, the wait seems worth it, by a thousand fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you, Wendy! I'm glad good things are happening to you. All your hard work is paying off. Hope you and your family have wonderful times ahead. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When those dark clouds finally lift you'll have such an appreciation for the routine. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much friends. It's so wonderful hearing from you all I have tears in my eyes. Its amazing how the blogging community really becomes family. Honest and truly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunny Atlanta Greetings, Wendy!

    How delightful to hear from you and on such an auspicious day, when I am resting after having enjoyed a fabulous interview with my guest, Author Sheree L. Greer, who is also a collegiate writing teacher and blogger.

    I am elated the clouds are lifting. Like you, I moved through a stormy, turbulent period in 2012. I can feel the winds abating and the sun is slowly warming my skin now. We've got to keep moving, though. Life is ever about the flow of change!

    Abundant blessings to you, your family and the business! So happy you got up!

    Wishing a wondrous week ahead,

    Claudia Moss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Claudia my wonderfully illustrious wordsmith friend. enjoy reading even just little snippets from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Wendy,
    I've missed you. Glad to know you and the family are well. Keep moving forward and growing your business day by day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome baaaack! Congratulations to you in accomplishing all you did with Skills Depot. I'll certainly go check it out & give it a Tweet.

    It was very nice to see your name pop up at my Facebook. :) The publicist form Omnific is sending out Advanced Reader Copies of my new book for review (Divine Temptation) - I'm asking her to send you one, but you've obviously got your hands full so no worries if you can't review. At least take the ARC so you can have it for whenever you're ready for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Nicki for your lovely words and I am definitely up to another book from you so I really look forward to it.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope things are continuing to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb U am so pleased to say yes. Life is slowly but surely is righting itself and beusiness continues.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top