Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jun 5, 2013

Review – The Wedding Gift by Kathleen McKenna

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:46 AM




Author:    Kathleen McKenna
Series:     N
Genre:      Paranormal, Horror, Romance
Publisher: Blue Bridge Books

THE STORY:

It is a spine-electrifying supernatural tale where a huge Southern States mansion contains one of the most terrifying, violent and indeed psychopathic ghosts to haunt any town. It is also a murder mystery – why did Robina Willets apparently kill all five of her young children, and her husband, before stabbing herself to death? And, if you are in the camp of believing that ‘justice …. just is not’, then this will have you frothing at the mouth with righteous social fury. Add to that the vision of two exceptionally beautiful girls lying on a landing stage in the middle of a secluded lake, sleeping naked in the sun …. …. and then see if you can find any consecutive ten minutes in this book when you don’t at least snicker at the heroine Leeann’s sly, caustic, sometimes-knowing sometimes ‘too stupid to live’ commentary.
This blurb came from Goodreads.
This is a book I really and truly fell i love with.
I read it more than a year ago and I'm posting a review on it today because I've committed to send a shout out about all the books I've read and enjoyed in the last year but did not get a chance to tell you about.
This right here is one of the great ones, it such a wonderful surprise and I hope you will be motivated to give it a go. I've read reviews where it's been classified as a horror, or comedy amongst others. What I found most ingenious was how the writer managed to write what I think is a cross  genre book of such superb quality, every theme is as strong as the last. I don't think it can be categorised under one genre because I remember  it for other reasons than the horror element which most focus on.

I think the blurb is quite informative and if I dwell more on what happens in the story I'll be spoiling it so let me talk about the characters (the MC to be specific).

This is one of those books that is probably in a setting like North and South or something you'll find in Mark Twain's book but 2011 or so. I'm in South Africa, never been to the states but I imagine its what the South is today. So you can sort of imagine the nature of person.
The heroine is supposed to be a (apologies in advance) a real dumb blond but she is surprisingly insightful in that way that will have you shaking your heard thinking, did she really just manage to put such a thought together? But on the very next breath she'll think or say something that leaves you slapping our own forehead because her face is not there, followed by loud "OMGs_How-can-a-whole-human-being-be-so- unimaginably-dumb". She is adorable, endearing, entertaining and infernally annoying all at once. And she is funny. This writer is clever and witty, she paints situations  that need no explains to make you laugh, real loud..

I also loved how Kathleen created real complex (or as writers say) three dimentoinal charaters throughout, whether they were central or supporting roles. They all have great depth, example  the MC who appears frivolous, promiscuous and gold digging in her ways on the surface and yet is dealing with the violent and unxplained death of her only sibling with such dignity and also unexpectedly displays ultruistic characteristics in surprising ways.

Her over protective friend is also dealing with family dilemnas that really move you and her dad, the strong man who is SUPPOSED to be holding it all together........these all add to the authenticity of Te characters.
NOT SO HOT:
That I can't cover the book in as much detail as I'd like. Otherwise I give it away completely. But please do yourself a favour and pick this one when you need some lighthearted but gripping reading.



OVERALL:

This is a story of overcoming the odds, real and supernatural and where, ironically for me it its more than just a horror story, which I clearly didnt focus on here (and not because it is not as gripping because it is). I wanted to talk about what I haven't seen on the other reviews which as a theme of innocense that prevails even where it appears there is none because the MC for all her money grabbing ways is such (what an incogruence), its also a story of a family staying together through hardship and of love that prevails even after death has paid a visit. Its really a story of truimph.

Rating: 



About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you here R&LB, we can never have to many book bloggers so welcome to a wonderful adventure too. Thanks for stopping by and I shall certainly visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to read this one, Wendy. Not too much into the paranormal stuff though. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. OMW this moderation stuff in causing a stuff up J.L. I never saw you comment until today can you believe it. It sa lovely book and I the paranormal bit is actually so minimal J.L you almost don't remember thats its supposed to be one.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top