Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Jul 31, 2013

For the Sake Of revenge by D.L Atha: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  11:19 PM





Series:     N 
Genre:      Non-Fiction, Spiritual Life/Inspirational
Publisher: Empress (June 30, 2013)
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0979335655

THE STORY:
How far was Tamara willing to go for the sake of revenge? And who would pay the price? She didn’t know as she tipped the bottle of vampire blood up to her lips but she was about to find out.

Stepping off the ferry in Sitka, Alaska was bittersweet for Tamara Semenov. A decade earlier she had abandoned her mother and high school sweetheart, Peter, to marry a man she hardly knew only to find herself in an abusive relationship. Now ten years later, she had escaped with her life but at what cost. Her mother was dead.

Although the police had ruled her mother’s death an accident, Tamara was convinced her estranged husband was to blame and to make matters worse, she knows she is his next target. 

While putting her mother’s affairs in order, Tamara finds the blood of a vampire named Adrik, who as a human was falsely accused of raping a wealthy Russian heiress and excommunicated from the Church. For the sake of revenge, he willing condemned himself to vampirism.

Learning that the blood could tie the living to the undead, Tamara seeks out a connection with the long buried vampire in hopes of striking a deal, his freedom for her revenge. Will he be the edge she needs to out maneuver her estranged husband or will she become entangled in a two century old web of revenge?
This blurb came from Amazon.
D.L is quite adapt at taking a genre that has been over written and over done and giving it a new twist. The last book I reviewed had strong and instructive medical influence and in this time its history. Her vampire stories somehow als manage to read more like a drama than a vampire novel.
I have to commend the writer for the amount of real research she puts in. Not this google and Wikipedia stuff that some writers depend on (believe me, we readers can pick it up). This is no lazy writer, she puts in the elbow grease needed to build her story. Along with the fictitious bit you get to learn some real things like the fascinating history of a little town called Sitka in Alaska that I think most of us know nothing about.
There is a very solid background story for each character even if they are just one of the minor roles. I think that’s a great quality to have as a writer because it means nobody is just slapped in there to fill a void, like why the Russia girl’s maid testifies falsely against Adrik (the male lead). Adrik mistakenly killed her son the very first day they came to the fort. Many years later she was the one that would seal his fate because of her deep seated hatred.
I also like that this book takes risks. The writer is not afraid to change the status quo on “legendary facts” like how one becomes a vampire. Whether or not it is as believable as what we have come to accept as facts when the first writers dreamt up their own formula is another matter. But for me because I accept that fiction is written on the premise of none of it being true, it was quite plausible. Don’t worry there are no transformations to glittery vamps, these ones are quite dark (as vampires should be mind you).
NOT SO HOT:
The one thing that stood out right to the end is that I don’t understand what happened at the fort. It would seem as though for five days there was a ritual taking place with the natives which culminates into inhumane, hideous screams of pain and then when Adrik and his people enter the fort, only dead children are found strewn all over. The adults have disappeared. I am still at a loss as to what supernatural event or creature did that. What was the ritual about? Were they calling up a spirit to deal with the invaders with the 5 day ritual but found that it backfired? It doesn’t make sense that the natives would have killed their own children and it is clear that the invaders are also boggled by the events and have no clue what happened.
I really would like to find out what happened here because I kept going back to reading it and it bothered me throughout like a loose end. I think mainly because this event plays such a significant role in Adrik becoming a vampire.
The background story of the two lead characters is fantastic but very long. In fact as I got to the part where Adrik tells his story, in the middle of it I realized I had forgotten how we had gotten to that point and the reasons that led the female Tamara being there. I felt that the main story lost a bit of momentum as a result.

OVERALL:
 D.L. Did a brilliant job and I would buy her book because she offers more than a great story, she give one an education about certain things that are applicable to real life.
The fact that she writes stories that are not superficial but have real people with real deep issues is another clincher. In fact big and small people were neglected at my house last weekend because I needed to know “what_happened_next” with each page turned.   
Because of the ending I suspect that there will be a followup story. Well at least I hope so. I'm left really intrigued.
Click on the link below the book cover to buy the book.

Rating: 


Update on Review!!
I received this message from D.L and I thought I should post it here for anyone who is interested in the actual story about the fort when reading the book (horrific and fascinating):
Wendy, I wanted to give you an update on the fort scene in For the Sake of Revenge. The event was an actual historical event. The children of the fort were killed by their parents. The parents then escaped out the back of the fort into the mountains. They killed the children because the journey through the mountains was so harsh they didn't want them slowing them down. They also killed the elderly. It was a harrowing event and one reason why they say that forest is still haunted. It was actually pretty hard to write about as a parent! Thanks again for the review and I hope everything is going well for you. God Bless, Delilah

Note!
  • You can also get your copy at my online book store: Fabulosity Galore
  • Book source: I got bought this book. There was no review request by the author.
  • If you're interested reading more of my reviews then click HERE.
  • If you would like to request a book review or you would like to guest post here feel free to email me: fabulosityreads@gmail.com

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

0 WORDS OF THE WISE...:

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top