Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Aug 20, 2013

Blogging: How will I Do It Better This Time?

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  3:14 AM

Since I started blogging full time again, about a month ago, I’ve been blog visiting old friends and I’ve come
across at least 15 blogs from the list I follow whose owners are either going on sabbatical or stopping for good. Even more disturbing and worrying are blogs that have not had activity for the last year or two and there is not even a post on them that gives an idea of what’s happened to the owner. Like, did they just leave it because they got overwhelmed, did they go through a life changing experience or are they even alive?

When I started blogging at Fabulosity Nouveau (my first blog)  I was beside myself with giddiness. So happy was I that after blogging for just under a year I started a second blog, Fabulosity Reads exclusively for books.
Blogging made me a happy puppy because I could share my thoughts with people who were interested in what I had to say.

I wasn’t competing for anyone’s attention and it was something I could do just for me (not as a wife, or mother) and it was something I could enjoy on my own. In fact I always say blogging helped find Wendy. If you asked me what I enjoyed doing when I started blogging at 35 I could not have told you. Up to that point, everything I did had to do with keeping other people happy. I knew what my kids loved, or my husband enjoyed but I couldn’t say the same about me. A few months after starting blogging I found that not only did I have interests but I had a number of creative talents.

I was making friends, great friends from all over the world without even leaving the comfort of my home. These friends didn’t care whether I was in a good or bad mood. They didn’t care whether I was a size 22 or 42. In fact they didn’t care whether I was writing my blog post or answering their comments in my PJ’s with hair that could have me mistaken for the crazy bag lady. They were just there to show an interest in my wellbeing and encourage my talents.

And then the unthinkable happened. I started feeling pressure to perform. It became a mission to think of witty and deep meaningful things to say or interesting places and people to cover.

It became another responsibility and things began slipping. I missed a post, first for days, then weeks. Eventually with other priorities coming into effect I got overwhelmed and there no motivation to come up with something to make it work because the creative juices just weren’t flowing anymore.

When reading, the thing I love more than anything in the world, the one that is the centre of the very best of my childhood memories, when that became a source of anxiety I knew it was time to do something drastic. Leaving Blogville was an incredibly drastic step for me because I was so attached to my blogs but then by this time activity on Fabulosity Nouveau had become nearly obsolete.

So I stopped blogging all together beginning of last year. And now after almost two years I’ve come back.

In the time I left my world ended due to consequences of disastrous decisions and began again with second chances. Many areas are still WIP but things are beginning to make sense. I feel re-energized and ready to take on my hobby again but this time the outlook is adifferent. This time I:

  1. Only commit to what I can deliver in my reviews and only review books I like. I think as review bloggers we unknowingly want to be some sort of Good Samaritan to as many writers as possible because we love them. We want to help everyone out with getting the books out there. But I’ve learnt that this only leads to disappointing many and undue pressure. 
  2. Will blog strategically. My most active blog is this one and Nouveau not at all. I’ve decided to use this blog for both my books and my personal updates. I’ve been against this move for a long time but I think I now concede that having too many blogs running at once is just unmanageable. I have at least three other blogs to manage, my company one (The Skills Depot), my husband’s men’s club one on the website I’m busy building (Divine Brothers) and my Christian blog (The God Effect 101). That is a handful.
  3. Will post on schedule. I’ve  been goings back and forth between whether or not to put out a blog schedule to stick to. I think I will if only to give an indication to my followers so they know when to check in for their posts of interest. With combining the blogs some people will be interested in the personal  posts and others on book matters.
  4. Only blog about things that inspire and entertain me. Because that is my motivation for blogging. Experience has taught me that if the inspiration is gone, the possibility of sticking to it is minimal. 

How do you stay on course with your blogging?
If you've left and come back, what brought you back?

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

7 comments:

  1. Blogging can be fun and also a task as you mentioned. I try to blog on my own time and go with my own flow. I don't set up schedules because that would add pressure to blog when I do not want to.

    I now blog only when I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peaches. thats exactly the back and forth I've been having and the reason you just mentioned Peaches is exactly why I did without one for so long.
    I'm goon atry this for a little while though and see how it does because some people follow you with dedication and not knowing when something will be posted can be problemetic. So we shall see how it all works out.
    I think the personality also counts. I'm the kind that if I'm im in it then its full steam ahead with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging is fun, and you're right we have to be careful not to put ourselves under pressure. I blog as a business now, and that means I work hard, but still I choose what makes me happy. All the best and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on every point. When you first started blogging it's what attracted me most... I liked what you had to say... and still do... especially this post. Glad you're back! And more importantly, back to Wendy;-)

    Now that I'm no longer flying solo, I don't have all the luxuries I had, but I was able to keep the one piece of I joy I truly enjoyed... OEBooks Blog! Thanks for a great post... and great memories. Loved that caption, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On I am so so pleased to see the two of you here. I'm having a nirvana experience right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back, Wendy. I know all the about the pressure that comes with trying to maintain consistency. It does make sense to combine your blogs based on your schedule and what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its all a work in progress aint it JL.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top