Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Aug 2, 2013

Poetry Friday: the New Woman

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  12:10 PM

I have a book on my shelf titled: A Century of South African Poets _ ISBN: 0 949937 86X.
I’ve previously posted a poem here about an Anglo Boer war soldier that was heart wrenching from this same book.
I find that every time I open it I learn something personal to the people who lived our history through the poets. Such as today’s poet, Thomas Craig. I was so shocked at the this poen that I went and tried to do some research on who he is. The pity is that there seems to not be much of a record on African poets who are not contemporary (late 1900’s to 2000’s). Like our folklore, those details are getting lost with the passage of time.
The little I have picked up is that Thomas was actually Rhodesian (Zimbabwean), not South African (little difference for the time I’m sure). Through the very few poems I’ve been able to track online I’ve also decided that he either hated women or thought very little of them…..a man of his time would you say (1901 or so)?
*mienair or bearing especially as expressive of attitude or personality (e.g regal bearing)


Now for the poem that make's me suspect even more that this was no woman lover.....Not a Gandhi type by any stretch of the imagination. (Sidenote: Gandhi in South Africa 1893 to 1914).

*Parson the priest of an independent parish church
The Parson's Grave


Top of Form
1His tombstone tells a tale of woe --
2    The story of a saddened life --
3"Here lies the Reverend Jonas Lowe,
4    The victim of a faithless wife."
5And we who knew that parson dear,
6    Bemoan the wrecks Eve's daughters cause,
7And having dropped the casual tear,
8    Still speculate, -- Whose wife it was?

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

5 comments:

  1. How dare she! What does she have to be so upset about?! Thomas Craig, I think you feel a little threatened. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. He has certainly rubbed me up the wrong way @Deb. A male friends said but its just social commentry WEndy, and I nearly bit his head off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny that you commented on my blog! I was actually thinking about you yesterday, wondering how you're doing. :-D

    That first poem definitely comes out of that time. The second, on the other hand, is more against the parson than the woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these conjure up a lot of emotions!
    Whoa~
    I love your photo! And I do agree about the first one-history is hidden in many poems, but not this one! Thank you for sharing! I will be by more often to see how you are! I'm going to look on another site and see what I can find~
    Take Care! @>---------

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ella, thank you (re. photo) , you're very sweet yourself.

    @Misha you've been on my mind too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top