Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 3, 2013

Are you a LEXOPHILE, BIBLIOPHILE, both?

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  12:28 AM

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



 This is one of those posts that are too long for facebook but really just belong there. It's sharing a random though really and I'm not even sure why but here goes:

Lexophile
Noun: a lover of words, one who derives pleasure from various use of words, who appreciates the nuances surrounding different words, and who is alert to synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and homonyms, often using them for effect, sometimes in humor. Source

I love words. I’m not adept at using them but certainly I do love them. It’s one of the reasons why I read. I’m one of them list people so I write lists with words to look up as I come across them be it from a book or piece of text I’m reading or a talk show or a conversation I’m listening to. They don’t have to be elaborate, difficult or effusive words, just interesting enough to grab my attention.

Like last Saturday when I was hit with sudden inspiration to write a poem of thanks for my 12th Grade English teacher (Mr. Hennie v Greenen_now a Director, Producer and Writer at Wordsmiths Theatre Factory).
As soon as inspiration hit I dumped the dish washing chores, put crying baby to hip (my youngest) and got my note pad with the other hand and started scribbling. I proceeded to type using all five fingers and everything was going swimmingly until I needed to use the word "oblivious" which just sounded…blah. So off I went searching andfound a more memorable and more meaningful one.
Then I looked for a second word to replace another mind-numbing one. I can'teven  remember what this word was which needed replacing _(the brain having been numbed out by the unspiring nature I’m sure).

Anyway the word which caught my eye was: Poen

I think I can be forgiven for having first thought that this word had something to do with the word “Poem”.This word that looks so artsy and fluid to me actually has agricultural roots and refers to arduous labor, enslavement, serfdom and so forth. Not the most romantic or creative imagery here.
But anyway it is a word I am looking for an opportunity to use. This time I did not. This time I needed a word with more force in its look and punch in its sound to have the appropriate effect in my poem. This time I used the word DRUDGE.

I must also mention here that I think that's why I have a soft spot for poetry. I think in poetry you have more room to play with words and actually see the acting out of the words in a confined "space" withn a short period of time. I also love the liberty to make up my own words and they just fit in beautifully and no one would raises an eyebrow but just enjoy the sound, effect and meaning it brings.

According to the definition above if I am a lexophile then I should be a consummate communicator and therefore I’m not sure if I qualify for this status. But I think for the moment I can console myself with the knowledge and certainty  that I am a bibliophile and bear that title with great pride.

Bibliophile:
Noun:  a lover of books especially for qualities of format; also : a book collector
(and boy do I collect _and I’m so worried about all the book stores closing.)

SO, let out the lexiphile in you and leave some interesting words in comments. Who know, you may just help unblocked somebody's writing with that word.

You may also be interested in visiting the following pages:

This man is a bibliophile: Julian Barnes
WiseGEEK: explains the lexophile

Oh and if you're new visitor i'd love to see more of your so please dont forget to follow my blog using Google Friend Connect in the sidebar to your left, right about now. I'll be sure to reciprocate.

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Wendy. My name is Inion. I am one half of the mother/daughter writing team, Inion N. Mathair. My mother told me of your blog and insisted I visit because I would love it. How right she was. Love your site! It's so whimsical and soft. And, love this post. I'm a self professed Bibliophile, and though it takes words to create these wonderful things, I'm not much for words, or maybe it's just I'm not much of a talker. I have had a word that I've been fascinated with for the past few months and I've been trying to find a way to squeeze it into our new novel, but can't seem to find the right place for it. Fastidious is the word and I'm obsessed with it. Weird, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fastidious is a very good one that reminds me of Mrs. Havisham which may not be such a good thing but then being reminded of Charles Dickens is always a good thing.

    I'm so happy you came around and I adore your description of my blog, I never thought of myself that way and yet my blog is an expression of me. LOL. The things we find ourselves through LOL.

    I must say that my first love is reading and collecting books _so definite bibliophile to but then I have an affair with words on the side.

    Thank you for stopping buy. I love finding people like you and your mom. You just reaffirm that blogging is worth every moment.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top