Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 28, 2013

Art On Friday: Our Contraversial President On Canvass.....again

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  11:00 AM

This morning there were two posts. Below this is one called: Do You Have Goals Blog Hop. I hope you'll check it out. OMW I JUST DISCOVERED THAT TODAY IS SATURDAY. I;VE BEEN A DAY BEHIND ALL WEEK. Now I feel absolutely defeated.

---------------------------------------------------
While driving yesterday I very briefly listened to Eye Witness News, a news channel from one of our local radio stations (702) and heard this interesting report which of course I had to follow up on and share with you. There is a certain artist from my tribe (Xhosa), whom I believe to be a political activist as well with a propensity for creating very contraversial art pieces. Being an artist and a commercially successful one at that cannot be an easy task. In fact it seems to me as though the quickest way to fame and quite possibly a modest fortune while you are alive is by ensuring that your work is worth banning because I'll tell you what....now everyone knows this upcoming artist who may have otherwise remained obscure.



EYE WITHNESS NEWS REPORT:
CAPE TOWN - A Du Noon artist has yet again landed in hot water after one of his paintings was removed from the walls of the FNB Joburg Art Fair 2013.

Ayanda Mabulu's work titled Yakhal’inkomo - Black Man's Cry, is about the deadly shooting at Lonmin’s Marikana mine in the North West.

On 16 August 2012, 34 striking miners were gunned down during a confrontation with police.
The artwork depicts a kneeling miner with horns, representing a dead bull being attacked by President Jacob Zuma’s dog - the police.

In the work, the president is seen stepping on a dying miner’s head.

Another one of Mabulu's earlier paintings entitled Umshini Wam shows Zuma with his penis exposed.
Mabulu told Eyewitness News he is hurt that his painting has been removed.

“The painting speaks about the slaughter of black people, black miners, poor people and the marginalised, by those in power, including our president and those who control the economy.”

He says through his paintings, he gets messages across from the viewpoint of the disadvantaged in the country.

“I’m going to continue talking about these stories regardless of who says what.”

FNB Joburg Art Fair organisers held a press conference explaining the decision to remove the painting.

They argue the exhibition is not the right place to show the painting.

It has been replaced by one of Mabulu’s other

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

3 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty nasty.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Gina and the powers that be are mostly the culprits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    That sounds quite controversial. The artist has courage.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top