Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Sep 16, 2013

Covet by JR Ward: Book Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:11 AM





But this book HERE
Author: JR Ward
Series:     Y 
Genre:      Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet; Original edition (September 29, 2009)
Page Numbers Source ISBN10: 0451228219

THE STORY:
Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about—his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he’s good with that — until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart—and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.
This blurb came from Amazon.
Covert is a very different story from the BDB but it is one that promises to be as good and as entertaining. If you have read BD previously you will find similarities with series in the way she puts together romance stories, how strong and attractive her lead males tend to be (drool worthy really) and her solid back ground story development.
Coming from the BDB, The Creator  is introduced as being tired of the constant battle between good and evil for rulership. So now he gets a different plan in motion and this involves angels and demons agreeing on something. They have to identify a human to use to decide the fate of the world and this human must be acceptable to both sides. The person needs to have an equal capacity to do good and bad. Added to this "game" is that this chosen one has to influence the fate of seven souls. Each side is then obviously doing their damndest to outwit the other and get the MC to their side and thus gain seven more human souls in the process. The winning side will be the one with the highest number of souls. The result” if the angels win the Earth will be “nothing but one giant frickin’ Christmas morning.” If the demons win, they get to keep all the souls on Earth and the angels will be slaves for all eternity.
Jim Heron (our hero) is a building contractor and an ex-military assassin with no roots. A strong broody, beautiful  and a troubled soul _ just how we like JR’s male leads. He is the chosen one as he fits the requirements perfectly. While he is keen to do what is right and what is good, he is also fallible. Keep in mind that the forces of evil must have seen something in him for them to decide he was the right mark. Jim is something of a mystery and with his potential to do good or bad he is by far the most interesting character in this story.
 I wont go any futher into breaking the story down but once again JR had me gripped. I couldn't put Covet down and I particulary loved that the sex scenes were very few and the focus was on th edevelopment of the story. 

NOT SO HOT:
If you enjoy angels falling in love and demons being good then you may be disappointed here. Personally I enjoy paranormal most when it doesn't clash with things that are fundamental to my makeup, like my faith. I don't like reading for pleasure and ending up conflicted. In this story it is the humans that fall in love not the supernaturals (angels and demons in this case). If however this is an important factor for youI would still persuad you to read it because it would still be a great read judging by the copious amounts of fast paced, action packed fantasy romance that grabs hold of the reader and doesn’t let up until the closing pages. So…there is NO, NOT SO HOT after all.

OVERALL:
I reallyloved Cove, so much so that I kept it for a long time hoping the owner didn't remember they gave it to me until I got my own hard copy recently. If I have to have a book in this genre in my library then this is it. Its a fresh take on what J.R normally writes and having read a lot of paranormal/ vamp romance novels, i know she is one of the best in this genre. I loved the intensity and suspense  present throughout, if you loved the BDB, well this is over the top. It’s got the usual sexy bits, hot bodies and moral and spiritual dilemmas with the paranormal happenings in between. And something quite different, there are no vampires this time. Angels and demons are fighting over humanity and each side will do what they have to, to win souls.
Its a fantastic, pulsating read, scintillating and intelligently crafted. This is a very promising beginning and I think  J.R Ward out did herself in this one. I can't wait to read the next one – CRAVE


Rating: 

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the review and I'd also like to appeal to you to support my blog, writing and book shop  You can click here to learn more about the shop and my dreams that it is meant to fund and make reality. 

Note!
  • You can also get your copy at my online book store: Fabulosity Galore
  • Book source: I got bought this book. There was no review request by the author.
  • If you're interested reading more of my reviews then click HERE.
  • If you would like to request a book review or you would like to guest post here feel free to email me: fabulosityreads@gmail.com

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

0 WORDS OF THE WISE...:

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top