Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 21, 2013

BlogTour Review: Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  3:23 PM








Genre: Young Adult. Paranormal. Thriller.

THE STORY

Can love last more than a lifetime? Can Murder?

Bad things come in threes. In Shady Springs, that includes murder.

Murder Now

Lange Crawford’s move to Shady Springs, Pennsylvania, lands her a group of awesome friends, a major crush on songwriter Vaughn, and life in a haunted, 200-year-old farmhouse. It also brings The Hunt: an infamous murder mystery festival where students solve a fake, gruesome murder scheme during the week of Halloween. Well, supposedly fake.

Murder Then

Weeks before The Hunt, Lange and her friends hold a séance in the farmhouse’s eerie barn. When a voice rushes through, whispering haunting words that only she and Vaughn can hear, Lange realizes it's begging for help. The mysterious voice leads Lange and Vaughn to uncover letters and photos left behind by a murdered girl, Ginny, and they become obsessed with her story and the horrifying threats that led to her murder.

Murder Yet to Come

But someone doesn’t like their snooping, and Lange and Vaughn begin receiving the same threats that Ginny once did. The mysterious words from the barn become crucial to figuring out Ginny's past and discovering how their own past is connected to hers. They must work fast to uncover the truth or risk finding out if history really does repeat itself.


MY THOUGHTS:

Second Verse is a Young Adult novel that will keep a lot of adults entertained and quite possibly freaked out a bit. It’s also a book ideally suited for Hallows Eve I think and coincidentally the event that gets things rolling is a séance  conducted on the same said evening. That’s as far as I’ll go with revealing details.
What I can tell you without a doubt is that I would love to have this one on my bookshelf. 
That’s how good this book is. That’s how much I loved it. 

So what makes it so good?

I love books that don’t stop. That don’t over describe. That doesn’t over tell. That’s the first thing that Jennifer Walkup gets right. This always grabs my attention because it means there are no or there is minimum risk of doldrums.

Secondly I love books that have a flow and yet have fresh information with every page you turn. I felt that the characters and the plot were both driving the story and it was a perfect balance. The story is obviously about this big thing that’s happened at the séance I mentioned and its after effect but the characters are all very strong too. 
They are all teenagers working hard at the music academy towards their different disciplines but what would a late teen book be without the angst, search for identity/belonging and heart wrenching crushes we all bore and suffered. Jennifer is just perfect. She captured it all, made me feel it without making me feel like a pedophile…..which I have to tell you happens a lot with all these teen books floating around.

This part in particular I thought was reminiscent of most adults experiences as they would have gone through them as teenagers….. this made her story very credible to me.
And then the third thing she gets right is the back-story to the characters. 
Everyone has a solid place where they come from and you can identify them as unique individuals. They talk the same, are from the same type of background so there are no gimmicks used to create separate identities but because of how well she lays the foundation for each character you definitely know who’s talking and why they’re saying what saying.


CONCLUSION:

I fell inlove with everyone  and everything in this book. Right from the beginning where you are just tossed into the middle of this conversation about decapitation and stabbing, to the teen flutters in the tummy right up to this “thing” that for a long while was fluttering in the periphery of everyone’s awareness because it’s too terrifying to voice out and all those twists that you never see coming.

Now with everything I’ve said, don’t be fooled. This is one scary book which means not only is Jennifer Walkup a writing goddess but she’s also one sick puppy.
Get it. This one’s a keeper.

RATING: 

 
Thank you Novel Publicity. I love you guys.

What else can you find:


You can find other reviews from this blog here: Book Reviews
You can find out book promotion service here: Fabulosity Reads Book Promotions


About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. We love it when reviewers really 'get' and love our books as you obviously did with Jennifer Walkup's SECOND VERSE. Thank you for reading it and for your stellar review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute pleasure Luminis

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful review, Wendy. Great analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had the pleasure of blurbing this debut and it was such a fantastic read. congrats Jenn and great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the review!
    I too read this book and was impressed with the plot and characters! A great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a privilege Cindy nive meeting ou
    Thank you so much "grownupalil"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review, Wendy, and such high praise for SECOND VERSE. I'm so glad you loved it! Thank you for joining us on this tour and for taking a moment to cross-post to Amazon and GoodReads. Oh, and don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter and random commenter contests for yourself.

    Em :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top