Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Nov 26, 2013

#HowTo Not Suck At Blogging

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  10:17 PM


Have you ever wondered why it is that some bloggers seem to do just about everything right and have hundreds of followers who comment, including you? 
Well I’m not one of those bloggers, as least not yet.
After reading some great blogging advise from master bloggers such as Blogpreneur, Kenny Boyskin, etc.
I started asking myself why its taken me this long to start seeing results. I've been blogging for 3 years and the last couple of months have been the most successful.

I noticed the following misdemeanours on my posts which I highly recommend you DO NOT FOLLOW so as not to risk being a sucky blogger. 
That being said I'm not completely useless so I've peppered this with some of successes too..

Do not over promise and under deliver.
This is my conscious speaking. According to my schedule Wednesdays are for interviews but here you are, reading a #HowTo post. Reason for that is for the last two weeks I've been busy setting up my new Book Tour service. (visit after this, its lovely)
I'm  afraid I'm also far too easily swayed by inspiration and naturally have a hard time sticking to a regime of any sort, a discipline that I am fighting hard to instill.
Everytime I got a "brilliant" idea I used to put it on schedule as something I'd do but completely failed to deliver on.  I stopped doing that because when you promise content to your followers it has to be there, complete absence of it makes your blog unreliable and a time waster.
So instead of completely getting rid of my blog schedule I put in an exit clause that says something to the effect: "This is my schedule that I more or less stick to." More or less being the operative words in case I catch anyone by surprise, such as today.


Write to entertain...... 
Your readers most probably only take 5 seconds scanning for something interesting and if not found off they fly to more punchy, witty corners of the bloggersphere.
I am long-winded by nature and am drowning my own wordy posts so this is a great challenge to me too.
So if you're like me I suggest you focus on posting epic content. Your reader has to have a good reason to stay otherwise they might not come back.

Do not by any means allow life to get in the way of blogging frequently. 
Otherwise that gets interpreted as you not taking your blog seriously. Blog friends are the best kind of friends, they don’t care that when you are blogging you just woke up in your moth ridden t-shirt with stinky morning breath and zits breaking out all over.
You deliver good content on the regular everytime and they’ll think you’re hotter than the seventh circle of hell paved with the skulls of priests.
If you are not a regular blogger, say you go more than three days without posting, I suggest you post your schedule up on your sidebar so that your visitors know when to drop in..
Otherwise they may end up stopping since they keep visiting and seeing the same content.

And for the love of all that is holy do not try to sound intelligent.
There are so many posts I shared that I wish I could do all over again. When I started blogging I, for some stupid  reason got the idea that I had to sound more insightful and philosophical than the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu and more intelligent than Nixon and Mandela, combined.
This made blogging a great challenge in very little time because although I consider myself moderately creative, it is not on tap. I struggled with ideas to blog about and having a clever opinion about them. Don't pretend like you or people you know don't do that *chuckles*
It took a couple of months for me to realise blogging is about honing my own voice, NOT CREATING A NEW ONE.
Now that I think about it, I must have come of nasally, pretentious and quite possibly snobbish.
Be careful of trying too hard. Be true to who you are and a group of wonderful readers and bloggers out there will love you.

And last, those comments shares.....they mean everything
Every blogger i know (me included) wants readers on the blog. That's why we're forever reading posts on how to get better at it. Possibly why you're reading this post too. 

Back in the day (about three years ago at least) popular advise was that you should visit other people's blogs, leave thoughtful comments and they will visit back and comment.
This worked but is no longer necessarily as effective because there have been great advents in share features since then.
These days you dont get as many people commenting on the actual post but through whatever platform they came across it on, example Google+.
This means bloggers need different ways of getting readers to their blogs to keep and encourage momentum.
There are all sorts of *thingiemajigs* and services on the market to help you achieve this for a certain cost.
Personally I have found that the old idea behind commenting (paying attention to and helping others) principle still applies and is quite possibly the best, cheapest and simplest solution out there.

I now promote more of other people's content than my own and the pay off has been that hundreds of people whose blogs I have never visited now promote my blog and secondly, consider me an expert at something.....
To be honest with you what that something is I'm not quite sure of as yet but that's neither here nor there for now. I just continue to do what works and I love, and people seem to take to it and that's what matters to me.

So my advise to you is, promote other people's work more and people will love yours too.
Think of the writer who does nothing but punt their own books, most readers veer away from that writer, but imagine having other people punt your book. Completely different result. 
You don't have to be on your social sites 24/7 doing this. There are helpful free services you can set up to do so and I've covered some here: Tweeting for Impact

*********
I hope somebody out there will learn something out of my obvious flops and avoid these routes better left untravelled...(Oh snap)  I was supposed to avoid/ minimise/ skim down on clichés....

Do you have any more to add to these and even one better: can you tell me how to be punchy, short and witty to get rid of my wall texting?


Until next time,



About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

11 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of many of these. My main problem right now is lack of time. I can't visit/comment even 25% of the people I'd like to. Still, I do make an effort to drop in when I can. (I'll be using the holidays to catch up.) I've found Twitter and Triberr to be useful in quickly sharing fellow writer's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thank you for dropping in Li, I love seeing comment right in the post. Its a work in progress for many of us but as long as we keep trying. We will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article Ms Ewurum. I made all those mistakes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its okay,we all learn from our mistakes :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the good advice and the great examples. I am more comfortable with social media than blogging. This will really help me. I'm enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much ladies.

    I'm so pleased to hear that Lisa.
    I love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great information. I've been guilty of not sticking to a schedule. Discourages me when I miss it. I do try to visit other bloggers and leave messages. The article was great and I signed up for your newsletter! Donna
    www.mylifeonestoryatatime.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome of you Donna. Thank you,
    and by the way, the guilt? Put it aside or you take all the fun out of it.
    Do the best you can with what you got, thats what I say.
    As long as we let the readers know to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy,

    You know that struggle to "find your voice"? Girl, you found it! LOL I had more than a few chuckles checking out your advice on how to not suck at blogging.

    Well, your time learning what to do and what not to do wasn't wasted because now you share those lessons learned!

    BTW, thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. You're so right that the newer sharing methods take the place of some of the commenting we all used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome to have you here V. And for this toughtful comment, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha - good tips to keep in mind for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.