Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Feb 10, 2014

Mercy by Rebecca Lim _Brilliant Book: #Review

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  1:44 AM


READ BLURB ON AMAZON
Author: Rebecca Lim
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Genre: YA/ Paranormal / Epic Fantasy
Format: Paperback
Pages: 280

Mercy (also the name of the MC) is an angel who does not remember who or what she is. She has fallen short of heaven’s glory for a misdeed we are yet to uncover. Despite that, there are strong hints of what took place, especially since the name of the man that frequently visits her dreams is called Luc. But at this point she is destined to jump from one body to the next, with no memory or even inkling of why she is in any particular person’s body, She is as likely to end up in the body of an heiress as she is a street urchin. This has been going on for at least 1000 years.

When we meet her she has just been ripped out of her last project and wakes up in the body of a non-descript, tiny, extremely shy and bullying prone teen victim named Carmen.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. I am a slow reader but finished it in three days although I have to admit the font tends to be bigger than on most novels. If the average font size is 11 then I think this would be a 13.

What really got my attention in Mercy, was the writer’s colorful writing style. She has an uncanny ability to create incredible imagery with words. When she gives a physical description of a character, they are so clearly etched n your mind it feels like you could pick them out in a crowd. And of course there is much course to drool.

When she describes the music and orchestra that Carmen is part of you feel part of the experience. This was really amazing to me because she did not downplay in anyway the singing abilities of the other choir members but when Carmen sang with Mercy sharing her body, you could imagine the experience to be transcendent.  

This book though is not all sweetness and light. This “angel” has some real deep and dark human issues to deal with. I was extremely disturbed by the family of Lauren (student) who are left behind  in their own version of hell after her abduction. It was very interesting to get what might be an angel’s perspective of our pain and struggles. The suffering that is unspoken of but is so present it eats away everything around and within us to the point of changing both tangible and intangible things. I liked how this was explained from a kind of spiritual perspective, it being that of an angel.
 I am almost persuaded to believe that this is perhaps what we do look like to angels when we are suffering deeply over prolonged periods.

This whole story just worked for me. From the smooth flow of the plot, its steady pace, colorful characters and creative writing, it is beautiful.
Is it a romantic love story or one of redemption because a different kind of love?  
I’m not sure, it has a bitter sweet quality of romance in the ending and I really can’t wait to read the next one to see how the loose ends are handled.  

This is the first book in a series and if the rest is kike the first…..its a must read.

Rating:

Source: Bought at a local book store in paperback here in South Africa
Please access other reviews here: BOOK REVIEWS


IF YOU FOUND THIS REVIEW INTERESTING THEN BY ALL MEANS PLEASE SHARE IT.
HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

0 WORDS OF THE WISE...:

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top