Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 26, 2014

10 Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Became An Author by @DianneGreenlay: #GUESTPOST

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  3:44 PM

Ladies and gentlemen we are only hours away from the first day of the first day of the hop and we have Dianne Greenlay, author of Quintspinner-S Pirate's Quest, to usher us in.

Dianne's book will be listed for only $2.99. Don't forget to check it out.



10 Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Became An Author



  1. Some people write just for themselves. (Drawers full of scribbled down short stories and poems for-your-eyes-only anyone?) These people are writers. Not authors. There IS a difference. The author part is where you do the hard work that is required to get the story or poem ready for judgment by the rest of the world, and then succeed in doing so. Writers write for the joy of capturing thoughts down on paper or screen. Authors do this too, but hope to make a living at it. Most writers secretly long to become authors.
  2. Telling the story is the easy part. Then comes the hard part of editing, rewrites, cover design, and marketing your product.
  3. Writing to make money is a business. There are costs involved and hopefully, monies earned. You do not have to spend a fortune to get a good quality book out there (although some have) but you probably DO need to pay for some services such as book cover design (if you don’t have a fantastic, eye-popping cover, it will never be noticed at thumbnail size. I hire Derek Murphy at http://bookcovers.creativindie.com/ to do the book covers for my Quintspinner series. Treat yourself to seeing some amazing book covers over on his site). The Internet provides groups to join professionally (http://allianceindependentauthors.org/ ) and lists places to get answers to questions about “how-to” for most things related to publishing a book and becoming an author. Other jobs, such as proper formatting can be hired out at a reasonable cost, to people who will make sure that it’s done properly. End result? You will have a great product to sell. Do not skimp on the quality.
  4. You MUST embrace technology. You cannot get away from using it and it will be a steep learning curve. If, like me, you are somewhat of a computer troglodyte, learn what you can on your own, and then hunt down a teenager who, for the price of some weekend beer money, will teach you how to upload, download, resize jpg’s, start a blog and a Facebook page, etc. They have grown up with this stuff. They’re really, really good at it. Pretend the money you’re paying them is going toward their university savings.
  5. You should have a plan. Several of them actually. A plan for your book’s plot. A marketing plan for your book’s introduction to the world. A financial plan for your expenditures. Do not do any of these by the seat of your pants.
  6. Word of mouth is still the most effective (and cheapest) way to get your book out there in front of hopefully thousands of pairs of readers’ eyes, and without a doubt, book bloggers are the best way to spread the word about your book. They connect with a built-in audience of readers. Book bloggers are an author’s BEST avenue of book discovery.
  7. Most of your friends and family members will abandon you after the novelty of your first book wears off and you have not immediately been invited to be a guest sitting and chatting on Oprah Winfrey’s couch. See the next point.
  8. Writing is a solitary occupation and it is vitally important to make connections with other writers. Preferably those who are authors. Not only will they have advice about formatting issues, royalty statements, Amazon algorithms, and be able to offer encouragement to you when you are full of self-depreciating thoughts (Why can’t I write the next BIG THING? Why do I continue with this?), but they will completely understand your need for a glass of spiced rum and coke and a bowl of chips and dip to get the creative juices going. (Hey, I am writing a pirate series after all.)
  9. The pathway to authorship will become littered with sacrifices. It’s a demanding career choice and it does not willingly share your time with anything or anyone else in your life. Got time to watch a season’s worth of your favorite TV show? Nope. Spend a few hours on a lazy afternoon reading for pleasure? Not likely. Want a weekend to work on [insert your favorite hobby here]? Not going to happen. You will be hunched and crunched over your keyboard, eyes nervously flickering over your accumulated word count, as the sounds of your family’s laugher floats over your head from the family room elsewhere in your home.
  10. This is the most important point of all and if I had known this, it would have made the journey of writing my first book so much easier: the heart-pounding, intense thrill of seeing your book available for sale online for the very first time, or better yet, holding it as a physical copy in your hands, makes all of the above WORTH IT. Every lonely, frustrating, exciting, wonderful, challenging minute of it. I really wish I’d known this from the start. Wouldn’t have gone through quite so much spiced rum, I expect Cheers!


Even in the year 1717, one month, one week, or one day, can make all the difference in the world.

One month ago, Tess Willoughby was the daughter of a well-to-do physician in London, and she witnessed the murder of an old seer. Coming into possession of the dead woman’s odd ring – an ancient Spinner ring, known by the locals as the Ring of Prophesy, she was wrongly accused by her father of having stolen the ring.
Three weeks ago, by her father’s arrangement for the family, she became an unwilling passenger on a merchant ship bound for the pirate-infested waters of the Caribbean.
Two weeks ago, at her father’s insistence, she became forcibly betrothed to a man who she recognized as being the seer’s murderer – a man who covets her only for her ring.
One week ago, she met a sailor and experienced the thrill of being in love for the first time.
Two days ago, she realized that such a secret love would endanger them both, and, heart-broken, she was forced to choose her loyalty. 
Yesterday, her fiancé betrayed her during a pirate attack and those she loved were slaughtered.
Today, she is plotting to save her own life and perhaps to take his in retribution. The ring is urging her to decide quickly...

Tomorrow will be too late.



Born and raised on the Canadian prairies, Dianne Greenlay is the author of the hilarious story, THE CAMPING GUY, as well as QUINTSPINNER – A PIRATE’S QUEST and DEADLY MISFORTUNE, Books One and Two in a fast-paced award – winning adventure series, set in the 1700's, in the pirate-infested waters of the West Indies. Greenlay is also a playwright, producer, and Creative Director of the long-running community theater group, Darkhorse Theatre. She is fluent in at least her mother tongue and she thanks her fierce English teachers for that. More of her thoughts on life can be found at www.diannegreenlay.com.

Connect With Dianne Here:

ore of Dianne's books on her AMAZON page.
Follow her on TWITTER.

Thank you so much for visiting 
I hope you will drop a comment and show Dianne some love.
Don't forget to follow via GFC above, and I will do the same.

Find more details here: MARCH BOOK FRENZY


About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

8 comments:

  1. I loved your post Lorrie! Your words ring so true in my heart and in my experience! Several tension headaches and one pesky tendonitis later, I can fully vouch for the fact that life as an aspiring author is an endless string of tiring and lonely days at the computer. Still, it all becomes worthwhile when even the slightest accomplishment comes our way every now and then, as we get to yet another milestone on our way to our private Ithaca! Thanks for sharing this Lorrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Dianne. I wish I'd known about the need for marketing and promotion long before it finally dawned on me that I was going to have to get to it myself because no one else was going to do it for me.
    As for the joy of holding your first book - well, I can remember walking round the house with mine as if it was a baby. Wherever I went, book came, too. Wonderful feeling which makes the toil and trouble fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right, Dianne! Your advice is spot on. Marketing and promotion has been the hardest thing for me, too, and it has a steep learning curve. It's definitely been worth it, though! Not just the joys of completing books and actually having people want to read them, but the wonderful friendships with readers and fellow authors made along the way! It's a pleasure – and an honor – to be in the company of such gifted, creative, and generous people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, it was a gradual realization for me, too, that the marketing and promotion were ALL my responsibility. And when our efforts work, it's a great joy, isn't it? Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorrie, I agree whole heartedly that the friendships forged along the writing and publishing journey make it all worthwhile. So rewarding! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Dianne, what a GREAT post!! As an aspiring author myself, I really appreciate all the things you've pointed out. And I totally agree -- this is definitely not an easy career choice. However, it IS a very rewarding one for the creative soul.

    I will certainly keep in mind everything you've told us here. In fact, I will bookmark this page for future reference!

    Thanks, Dianne, for your author tips! And thanks to Wendy for bringing us this very helpful article!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, I am glad to hear that you found it helpful. My actual list probably could have been three times longer, but these points were the ones that were the most obvious in my experience. Hang in there and you will reach your goal and dreams. Oh, and another tip - that spiced rum? Captain Morgan's. With lots of ice.:-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now did you know I LOVE rum? Especially Captain Morgan's! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top