Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Apr 3, 2014

#Copyright Your Blog Content with Creative Commons and Save Your Sanity: Turorial

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:44 PM

I published this a couple of weeks ago and a number of people found it useful, so although I have already put up a C post I thought I should bring it to your attention to.
This one is for the blogger or writer who is just starting out with blogging. 
I've often been asked about the privacy/copyright issues surrounding work online and how to protect it.
When I started blogging back in 2011 I had the same question because i was writing more creative stuff then on my blog Fabulosity Nouveau. 

But since then I've learnt that it does not matter what type of content it is, as long as it is good quality and uathentic, it  is worth giving copyright protection.
There are far too many unethical people out there who copy other peoples work for their own use wothout giving proper credit.  

Of course you also want to make sure you don't get blamed for the same bad practice. 
When you copy someone's work onto your own blog you do so using best practice. 
It's simple courtesy, ask them for permision first. As easy as leaving a comment on their blog or send an email to that effect. 
The important thing is to give proper credit where its due with a direct link to the original post.
At times, if what I want to copy has a promotional feel to it, I go ahead and post and leave a comment with a link on their blog or hook up with them with their twitter handle.
Wordpress and blogger both make this very easy with the reblog feature which will carry the relevant link straight to your blog.
Just always err on the side of caution because you don't want to risk being reported for stolen content by a blogger and getting kicked off Google's SERPs. So Mam/Sir you dont.

Now back to protecting your own content..

The best thing I could do which came at no cost for me was to use Creative Commons

They create a copyright licence for you for free and host it. To see what it looks like here is a picture of mine. You can find the real one towards the bottom of my sidebar here.


To create yours go to: http://creativecommons.org/choose/
It's incredibly simple to do, just fill in the spaces.
If you need an explanation of the accronyms e.g cc and little icons 
explained very simply here (scroll towards the middle): 


I'd love to hear what you think about copyright and if you think it will be worth using the service? 
Or if you have on one of these your blog what help do you think it;s offered you thus far.

IF YOU FOUND THIS POST INTERESTING OR USEFUL PLEASE HELP ME SHARE IT.
I WOULD ALSO LOVE FOR US TO FOLLOW EACH OTHER'S BLOGS VIA 
GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT (GFC) AT THE TOP OF THIS POST.
YOU HAVE A MARVELOUS DAY AND REMAIN BLESSED!!



About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting post. I hadn't thought about copyright of blogs - will certainly look into it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its worth your time Mary. Thanks for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of this either. But something to think about when I am listing some chapters from my upcoming novel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sahara thanks for dropping in, and i'm glad you find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't even thought about this from the perspective of my blog. Might not be the time yet, but thank your for this post. Another one I'll be flagging for the future.
    Marlene at On Writing and Riding

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top