Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 9, 2012

Sneaky Sunday: Flaps Down_ The Reluctant Hero by @JackieWeger

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  5:03 PM

Another peek at a wonderful book is here today to accompany your Sunday afternoon ladies and gents.
But before you get down to reading I am asking... on bended knee let me add.....that you please take a moment to cast a VOTE for this book. I admire Jackie Weger's writing acuman as do many who read her books and for good reason as you will see from the excerpt featured today. 

So I not only encourage you to read her work but ask you to encourage a brilliant writer on the rise with your votes. She is up against a tough crowd, best sellers but that only goes to show how good she is to have been nominated in the first place. Your vote will go a long way in validating this too.


VOTING STATION:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parnell Stillman, ace pilot, is man to the bone in a lackadaisical kind of way. He has the ability to fly through anything except solid mountain. He lives alone because people are not to be trusted--especially women. Flying is his high road until one sleet-filled morning--it isn't. Mischance forces his plane down in a frozen wilderness. 

He can survive, but his live cargo is another matter--an annoying social worker and five orphans--the most irksome freight he's ever hauled in his life. Rebecca Hollis is distraught. The orphans have missed their chance for parents. She determines to force the obnoxious, disagreeable, self-centered pilot to do what is necessary to insure the survival and rescue of the orphans... Even if it means making the noble gesture of keeping her mouth shut--or other womanly things. But the pilot isn't having it. No way. No how. No time. 
He'd rather dance with a grizzly or wrestle a puma than give his heart over to a sly, conniving, wily do-gooder. He is not into heroics. Rebecca Hollis has other ideas--lots of them! All artful and disingenuous--one of which is bound to work...she hopes. 



Part of Chapter One

The man opened his eyes. Rebecca could see him trying to shake the dregs of sleep. Once his gaze seemed focused on her, she spoke, "I'm looking for Mr. Stillman."

He came alert, his lips thinning as suspicious eyes darted to appraise her.

"You a bill collector?"

"Rebecca Hollis, from the Tynan Foundation. Abigail Tynan booked us a flight on the mail run. To San Francisco," she added, since the man looked blank. "We're a bit early, but if you could just direct me to Mr. Stillman, I can let him know we're here."

"Captain Stillman."

"Okay. Captain Stillman."

The man dragged his feet from the desk, stood and stretched, which had the effect of making his shirt collar poke up like limp flags from beneath the crew neck of a British commando sweater. When he came out of the stretch, the gleam in his eye was still guarded. "You're looking at him and I'm not."

"But..." Rebecca began. She caught herself before she blurted that he couldn't possibly be the pilot. She took a step back. Standing, the man was taller than she'd supposed. And given the slothful way his clothes hung on his frame, he appeared even more disreputable. The kind of man one either crossed the street to avoid, or if one were kind, dropped a quarter into his cup.

"You're not what?" she said, in no mood for benevolence, telling herself she'd misunderstood him.

"Not expecting you."

"You can't be Captain Stillman then, I assure you, we are expected." She was in no humor for charades. She'd spent the better part of last evening packing, managing only several hours' rest before she'd had to roust the children from their beds, after which she'd spent a tension-filled ninety minutes on slick and unsafe roads to reach the airfield on time.

"You hard of hearing or something? I'm Stillman." Parnell was fully awake now. Irritably so. There was only the woman, but she was talking in plurals.

"We? Who's we?" he demanded.

Rebecca answered his hostility with what she considered to be more pleasantness than the situation required. "Myself and the children—from the Foundation, the foundling home."

"Children!" Parnell yanked a clipboard from the wall behind him, flipping rapidly through it. "I got a group of social workers booked, going to a convention."

"I'm the social worker."

"There're six of you."

"One of me, five children. I'm sure Abigail didn't say we were all social workers," ventured Rebecca. But she knew in her heart that the Foundation's director had probably misled the man with her use of sly and creative dialogue. When it came to bargaining, creative dialogue was Abigail Tynan's stock in trade. But bargaining with the likes of Stillman? Yes, Abigail would do that, too. She'd often said she'd bargain with the devil if it meant something good for the youngsters in her care.

She watched Parnell Stillman consult his notes. 

"Abigail said, 'important personages, big favor, cheap price.’ I remember now."  The old biddie had also reminded Parnell of her association with his Uncle Henry. "I wrote it down."

"Well, that's us," Rebecca said airily, offering a weak smile.

"Forget it. I'm not hauling you. That's final. No women or children. They make too much fuss. Everybody this side of the Continental Divide knows it. I don't even like being nice to women and children. Makes my stomach hurt. You can just take yourself out of here. Tell Abigail the deal's off."

It was just the out Rebecca was looking for. Now she could return to the Foundation and tell Abigail an honest truth—they'd been turned away, bumped from the flight. On the other hand, she thought indignantly, the pilot was being underhanded, unfair and rude. It made her mad. "I will not take myself out of here. You've been paid. You agreed." She hoped the check Abigail had sent hadn't bounced. Otherwise...

"I'll have my accountant send the Foundation a refund."

There was something in the way he said "my accountant." Rebecca eyed the stack of unopened mail on the desk, the disarray of paper in the In-Out basket, all of which was layered with undisturbed dust. Accountant, my foot, she thought. His tone held the same touch of superfluity that Abigail Tynan used in promising payments when she knew very well the Foundation's bank account was overdrawn. Rebecca knew just how to counter the pilot's maneuver.

"I'm afraid that won't do," she said. "We must have the refund at once, in cash, so we can make other arrangements. It's urgent that we get to San Francisco."

"Can't. It's against my policy to give cash refunds. Besides, I don't keep cash on hand. Too dangerous. I might get robbed."

"You must not worry about getting robbed too much," Rebecca cooed, skepticism in full flower. "The gate at the entrance was open, your doors were unlocked. There's a plane sitting on the runway with no attendants that I could see. Security appears awfully lax. How many times have you been held up?"

Parnell scowled. The look she was giving him made him feel like something one scraped off a shoe. He didn't like it. "There's always a first time."

"No respectable burglar would be out in this weather," Rebecca said lightly. "Anyway, isn't there some sort of government rule that if passengers are bumped, the airline has to pay double the cost of their tickets?"

The belligerent expression on the captain's unshaven face told Rebecca she'd hit a sore spot.

"Who cares about government regulations? Paper pushers one and all."

"You won't have to be nice to us, Captain Stillman. I wouldn't want to be the cause of inflaming your ulcers. The children and I are used to managing just fine without ordinary courtesies."

Parnell glared at Rebecca. The way she talked reminded him of a bitter mistake he'd once made. "I had a wife like you once," he divulged, tight-jawed. "She spent the whole of our marriage intent on vexing me."

It was incredible, Rebecca thought, how full of himself the man was. She reminded him of his wife? Well, he reminded her of another who'd also been full of himself, shallow of heart and mind. A riposte came to the tip of her tongue, slid off with ease. "Oh? And how long did your marriage last, Captain Stillman? Twenty minutes?"

"Just like her," he muttered.





An award-winning author, Jackie Weger has been writing romance novels off and on for thirty years. When she's writing, she's anchored in a tiny room with a desk, a chair and a cat. When not writing, blogging or chatting with fans, she's traipsing around the Internet searching for recipes, but much prefers to travel the good earth by foot, bus, canoe, sloop, mule, train, plane or pickup--and let somebody else do the cooking.

Jackie's most popular book to date is The House on Persimmon Road. Since November 2013 more than 75,000 fans and new readers downloaded the Kindle Book. By popular demand, the House on Persimmon Road is now available in paperback.

Connect With Jackie Here:

FACEBOOK
WEBSITE
TWITTER
AMAZON
GOOGLE+

Thank you so much for visiting 
DONT FORGET TO VOTE: Books & Pals

 INFO ON MARCH BOOK FRENZY HOP
By the by, if you have not done so already, join Jackie and 7 other eNovel at Work authors for 4 days of undeniable fun....and you may just walk away with awesome books and cash in your paypal account. 

Find more details here: MARCH BOOK FRENZY









About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

7 comments:

  1. I loved the House on Persimmon Road and this one sounds like it will be just as great a read - definitely going on my to-be-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that first book but I definitely enjoyed the Jackie's writing on this one Mary. She is on my ever increasing TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy--as usual, you have done an upmarket job. You make me seem such a classy author! I amy adopt you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's because i only hook myself up with super talented people Jackie. Adoption application are open for submission LOL xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved FLAPS DOWN! Great combination of nail-biting, dramatic suspense, poignant emotion, and humor. Highly recommended! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoyable, Jackie! I have both titles on my Kindle; when the books come up in my queue, I look forward to reading both. Congratulations on your much-deserved success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of Jackie's because of this book (that's how we connected on Twitter, a fan girl moment for me!) and I so recommend it to everyone. It's smart, funny, touching.... Love it!! It's a keeper for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top