Don't forget to visit Fabulosity Reads Book Blog

Mar 5, 2014

WRITING ON A WING AND A PRAYER by @lorriewrites: #GUESTPOST

Posted by Wendy Ewurum  |  at  2:47 AM

On Monday I announced that I would be featuring best selling authors whose work some of you may be familiar with. If you are not familiar with them, this series of posts will change that with immediate effect and I am happy to join you on that journey.

Without further ado let me introduce you to a very fine author, Lorrie Farrelly whose book TIMELAPSE will be part the Amazon Count Down Deals mentioned on the banner.
NOTE! You can also find three of Lorrie's beautiful books on the sidebar.



WRITING ON A WING AND A PRAYER


Image of Lorrie FarrellyStarting a new book is exciting, exhilarating, and terrifying. Fingers poised over the keyboard, I chant the wing-it writer’s magic incantation: Woo hoo! Time to rock and roll! …  Um, okay. Now what?

I admit it; I’m a wing-it writer.  I often write whole scenes, only to decide the next day that those scenes are entirely wrong, and I must have been totally out to lunch when I wrote them.  At other times, characters fly off on their own, leaving me pulling my hair and screaming, “No! No! Stop it! Why did you do THAT?!”

Those are two of the all-too-common pitfalls of writing by the seat of the pants. It’s a style fraught with should-have-saids, but well, it’s my style, and I embrace it.  One of the worst manuscripts I ever wrote – and I wrote nearly the whole darn thing several times over – was one where I tried to plot it all out in advance. I just couldn’t do it, and the story simply wouldn’t come to life for me.

Perhaps some day, when I’m long gone, that ancient flash drive will be discovered, and the carefully outlined story will finally see the light of day. People will read it, shake their heads in wonder, and marvel, “Wow. That woman sure could write some stupefying rubbish!”

I’m a lover of suspense and surprises, so perhaps that’s why winging it works for me.  People often think authors are a little cracked for probably very valid reasons, but one of the top contenders is “My characters speak to me!”  Truth is, they really do, so sometimes I just have to listen to what they have to say.

As I was writing TIMELAPSE, I came to a point where I simply didn’t know what happened next. I suddenly thought of my mother, who always used to make up stories to tell me. Any time she painted her characters into that proverbial corner, she’d pause, think a minute, then cheerfully announce, “And then they all went to the beach!”

So, thanks to Mom, I always have a back-up plan. The “beach” might be in an alternate universe, or somewhere else in time, but my characters are always ready to pack up and go!

Copyright 2014 by Lorrie Farrelly


READ SAMPLE ON AMAZON


The accidental death of his beloved wife sent Alex Morgan into a numbing world of suppressed grief and rage, eased only by a profound bond with his son. Suddenly his life is shattered again when a chance discovery propels him into a world gone horribly, terrifyingly wrong.

Piecing together clues in this new nightmare, Alex suspects a colleague of taking a few, meddling steps back in time, changing the course of history – destroying Alex's family and his world. Desperately clinging to his sanity, he searches for any evidence his young son still exists.

Jessica O'Neil is fighting a nightmare of her own, captured and facing execution for freedom-fighting heroics in her grim, oppressive world. When Alex rescues the feisty young rebel, she resists her dangerous attraction to him – a man who's clearly crazy, literally in a world of his own.

Bound together first by chance and desperation, then by growing purpose, respect, and passion, Alex and Jessie must depend on each other to survive. More than that, they must find a way to prevent a terrible crime from taking place – a crime that plunged both their worlds into nightmare – over a hundred years before. To have a future, they will have to find their way to the past.

Image of Lorrie Farrelly



Image of Lorrie FarrellyLORRIE FARRELLY is the author of a Western historical romance trilogy, contemporary romantic suspense novels, and sci fi/paranomal romantic suspense novels. A graduate of the University of California, Santa Cruz, and Northwestern University, she's been a Renaissance nominee for Teacher of the Year, a ranch hand at Disneyland’s Circle D Ranch, and a “Jeopardy!” television quiz show champion. Her novels have earned READERS’ FAVORITE 5 STAR AWARDS, and TERMS OF SURRENDER is ORANGE ROSE AWARD finalist. Lorrie and her family live in Southern California.

Connect With Lorrie Here:


FACEBOOK

GOODREADS

WEBSITE

TWITTER

GOOGLE+

Thank you so much for visiting 
I hope you will drop a comment and show Lorrie some love.
Don't forget to follow via GFC above, and I will do the same.

 INFO ON MARCH BOOK FRENZY HOP
I gave the 8 authors featured on the hop a number of titles which I thought my visitors would be interested in and these upcoming titles can be found on the sidebar. So you can bookmark what you are interested in and pop in on the day it will be published. 

Of course if it were up to me I would have you visit all the posts just to hog your attention and have you get to know some of the most ridiculously gifted wordsmiths you will ever lay your eyes on.

By the by, if you have not done so already, join us for 4 days of undeniable fun....and you may just walk away with awesome books and cash in your paypal account. 

Find more details here: MARCH BOOK FRENZY









About the Author

Most know me as the author to Fabulosity Reads and in actual fact, that is the previous name of this blog. I have since then moved my books to a Wordpress self-hosted blog so that I can have a place to show a different side of me which I am equally passionate about and that is marketing and personal development. I hope you will love being here, watching me grow as I share and learn. My highest hope is that we will grown and learn together in all disciplines affecting our lives. I'd LUUURRRVE to hear from you, so don't be shy...

11 comments:

  1. Lorrie: Great article! I'm so looking forward to being in the Blog tour with you. I love your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorrie, I'm a plotter...I usually plot out my story from start to finish. I need to road map or I get lost. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie, I've been a pantser up to this point and I always loved the surprise directions that my plot and characters took, but lately I have been reading about how to increase my work count and most of those posts say that having an outline of sorts increases one's daily word count, so I'm trying that. Can't say it's easy for me though. I'm like you - it feels kind of confining, but we'll see. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lorrie, I'm a bit of both but either way, I can still get carried away and end up tearing my hair out. Mainly because I've just written the most boring thing ever!! Gotta love being an author (and I absolutely do!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorrie, Great article. I know how it feels when characters take matters into their own hands and go off in a different direction. I am trying to be a bit more of a planner than a panster with my next book - but I'm not sure if it is working.
    Really looking forward to accompanying you on this book blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for the comments! It's fascinating to me how artists/authors approach their work. I think we all have, to some degree, an ongoing interior power struggle: Left Brain: "You're a maniac! Just look at this mess you've made! If you'd simply follow the plan, everything would be fine." Right Brain: "Shut up! You're cramping my style!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies Welcome to Fabulosity. I am super excited to be in such illustrious company. My blog is truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A delighitful post Lorrie! I sympathize re the pantser problem...I am the same. The moment my characters realize I am trying to set any kind of plan or rules, they rebel on me and then all hell breaks loose. LOL. Wish you success with your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you connected being a pantser, or a winger, with enjoying suspense. Interesting concept. Your book sounds intriguing. Time travel is a confusing and fascinating concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh to be a writer....i would welcome any of these problems. Just make me a writer!!!! LOL. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again, everyone! So many ideas to think about in these comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....

Subscribe
Get our latest posts directly in your email inbox.

What they says

Contact information

Email: Wendy.Ewurum@fabulosityreads.com Tel: 071 087 4833 South Africa Twitter: twitter.com/FabulosityReads Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fabmarketingandpr
Proudly Powered by Blogger.
back to top